British Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the recipe. We are running a bit blind here.
It's earlier in this thread - Hazelwood Brewery posted a link to it in comment 3 athumb..

That said, I've queued it up to brew later this year, but I'm struggling to achieve the OG quoted based on the ingredients and quantities, assuming an optimistic efficiency of 80%. What am I doing wrong? 🙂

I seem to get around 1.042 instead of 1.050.

It's earlier in this thread - Hazelwood Brewery posted a link to it in comment 3 athumb..

That said, I've queued it up to brew later this year, but I'm struggling to achieve the OG quoted based on the ingredients and quantities, assuming an optimistic efficiency of 80%. What am I doing wrong? 🙂

I think my efficiency is about 83%

Do you measure the gravity at each stage of the mash and at pre-boil? If so what are you getting?

Do you mash for the same duration as my recipe - 80mins@68 + 30mins@72 + 20mins@77?

I use a fairly fine grist, a more coarse grist may not achieve the same gravity in the same time. Do you crush your own grain or buy it pre-crushed?

Do you measure the gravity at each stage of the mash and at pre-boil? If so what are you getting?

Do you mash for the same duration as my recipe - 80mins@68 + 30mins@72 + 20mins@77?
I essentially just put the recipe into the Grainfather app, including the three-step mash 🙂

I'm used to it being a bit fickle. It always seems to calculate IBUs differently from everything else (I use Tinseth and have configured it as such, but it always seems to disagree with pretty much every other software) but it normally doesn't get the sugar calculation this far out!

Thinking about it, when I'm using the Grainfather software with the G30 and pre-crushed grain from TMM, I almost always meet my OG target within a point or two, so I might just scale the gravity in the software, leaving everything else the same. I can't see why that would be a problem!

Hi TigerTim
Is it not possible to adjust the recipe to the BHE you are getting or is it kits you are using in which case they are generally based on 70% to 75% BHE

I essentially just put the recipe into the Grainfather app, including the three-step mash 🙂

I'm used to it being a bit fickle. It always seems to calculate IBUs differently from everything else (I use Tinseth and have configured it as such, but it always seems to disagree with pretty much every other software) but it normally doesn't get the sugar calculation this far out!
Don’t be afraid to add more base malts if you want. I’m not precious about the recipe and a little extra base malt won’t change the beer noticeably.

That might also be an option and would also be English.

Keep an eye out for Ernest though and maybe ask your supplier if they might get hold of some. I think it’s worthwhile trying Ernest when/if you can in some future brew.

hi! my supplier can find me Harlequeen or Archer and peraphs Godiva (but is not sure!)... what do you think about it?
I know that ernest has apricot, citrus and spice aroma, Harlequeen is more tropical fruit flavours and aromas including passionfruit, peach and pineapple and archer is floral with lime and peach

I suggest you look at crossmyloof website if you want English hops. They are very reasonable and the postage is about €5.
They haven't got earnest us English cascade instead.
Their Tropical England mix is worth trying, too.

Harlequin is weird, in a good way, but weird nevertheless. I use it all the time in my mild and it tastes like cannabis!
Godiva is another weird one. Made a bitter using it and it tasted like mushy peas. Fortunately, I like mushy peas.
To me Harlequin was like a tasty blend of us hops. Have Godiva in the fermenter now. There may be more year to year variations in young products?

hi! my supplier can find me Harlequeen or Archer and peraphs Godiva (but is not sure!)... what do you think about it?
I know that ernest has apricot, citrus and spice aroma, Harlequeen is more tropical fruit flavours and aromas including passionfruit, peach and pineapple and archer is floral with lime and peach
In the absence of Ernest go with the one that sounds most attractive/interesting to you.

@Caramel Ox says Harlequin is good @An Ankoù thought it weird but in a good way (mind you he thinks Godiva is weird too😂). If you really can’t decide, go with Harlequin.

To me Harlequin was like a tasty blend of us hops. Have Godiva in the fermenter now. There may be more year to year variations in young products?
I'd be very interested to hear how the Godiva brew turns out. For me, it was pleasant, but not stunning and decidedly "odd"- hard to describe- excellent in a blend of hops, but "curious" on its own.
Harlequin, on the other hand, stands up well on its own in a light ale/bitter, but it's got its own character and is not really like any other hop. It's certainly not a substitute for something else
I added it to my mild a couple of years ago when the open packet of hops I had intended to use smelt a bit "iffy" I was blown away by the result. Not overpowering, but quite surprising and well suited to the darker style. I'll post the full recipe if anyone wants to try it.

Latest posts

Back