BrewSSSiphon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per title... anybody got one?
£125 ....father Christmas job methinks.
I'm trying to source one at the mo. Been through 3 useless plastic ones at £20 each already. Cant seem to get one in uk anymore as the Malt Miller has stopped supplying them. Buying one direct from Brewsssential would cost $180 plus god knows what import duties.

£125 for a syphon. Really? My £20 plastic one is still going strong after 8 years.
I put one in the dish washer and ruined it. The rubber plunger thing wore out on another one. Bought another one yesterday so hopefully it'll last longer.

I’m not entirely sure what the objective is here, but if it is to start a siphon without risk of contamination then would something like this work? It’s a tube with a tee piece fitted and two taps.
  1. Close tap A, open tap B and suck on the open end until liquid flows down to A. It won’t flow further up tube B than the fluid level in the FV.
  2. Close tap B and open tap A: the siphon will now run.
7282EB93-C10B-4544-A46C-2BE3D3FD5A4B.jpeg

Personally I find a bottom tap works well, but I guess that’s not always possible - e.g. with a glass demijohn

I use a short piece of syphon tube attached to a syphon tap i join this to the the main syphon tube to start the flow i then close the tap and remove the short piece of tube.

I’m not entirely sure what the objective is here, but if it is to start a siphon without risk of contamination then would something like this work? It’s a tube with a tee piece fitted and two taps.
  1. Close tap A, open tap B and suck on the open end until liquid flows down to A. It won’t flow further up tube B than the fluid level in the FV.
  2. Close tap B and open tap A: the siphon will now run.
View attachment 52319
Personally I find a bottom tap works well, but I guess that’s not always possible - e.g. with a glass demijohn
Love the diagram. Yes I'm sure that would work. I just like the look of the stainless steel one as it all comes apart for easy cleaning and I the spring clip to hold it in position. The plastic sorts never work that well in my experience.

Latest posts

Back