Brewing tomorrow or Friday - with pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well, a starter of WLP007 went on yesterday, and depending on work I'll be brewing with it tomorrow or Friday. :thumb:

Plan is to recreate a beer that I made with green hops but using bought dried ones. I'm keen to see what difference the green hops made to the flavour profile and if my guesstimation weight increase (4-5 times) was right. It was a great beer, so a couple more kegs is no bad thing in anycase

40 litres, Target OG 1.055

Pale Malt (MO) - 6900
Munich Malt - 900
Crystal Malt - 140
Chocolate Malt - 45
Caramalt - 35
Carapils - 35
Wheat Malt - 350

90 mins mash at 68 C

Challenger 85g FWH
Challenger 25g 10 mins
Fuggles 25g 10 mins
Challenger 25g 80 degree steep
Fuggles 25g 80 degree steep

90 mins boil

Yeast - WLP 007

I'll try and remember pics this time, 3rd brew on the new set-up so hoping things will go smoothly :pray: and I'll have time / remember to take some!!

A great brewday followed by a beer too many!! Hit my OG perfectly but seem to be a few litres short :wha: I think the evaporation has gone up with the wider boiler.

Grains in the pre-heated tun
IMAG0053.jpg

Underletting

IMAG0054.jpg

Doughed in
IMAG0055.jpg

Tuck it up for 90 mins

IMAG0056.jpg

FWH in

IMAG0057.jpg

First runnings
IMAG0058.jpg

Pumping into boiler
IMAG0059.jpg

Boil it up
IMAG0060.jpg

Cool it back down
IMAG0062.jpg

Into the FV
IMAG0063.jpg

As evanvine says it will be interesting to hear what the difference (if any is) is. Hope it goes well :)

Pics added to original post, although on my PC a few appear not to be showing.... :hmm:

EDIT : bit of playing with the links and all now seems ok.. :thumb:

Looks like a good brew, great character to that yeast.

Can you let us know about you hop filter, look the business!

Rob

Hi Rob

done a few brews with 007 now and really like it, it does monster through sugars mind, so finding it works better in a stronger beer.

The hop strainer is a thing of beauty but I have to come clean and say it came to me already made up. :D

Cheers
Paul

Nice .... very, very nice. Love the colour that is coming out. Keep us informed about the green/dry

:cheers:

Great Set up and Brew Day Rob :clap: :clap:
mark1964 said:
interseting elements and filter where did you get them from. Nice pics :cheers:
Mark...I bought the same Hop Strainer from http://www.beerbelly.com.au/mashequip.html. My wife bought me the complete Deluxe Hop Screen set up ....It's not cheap and they take about 3 months to come..but I think its brilliant and worth the wait and money;)

I just want to make a point I believe in here.
The majority of AG brewers on the forum run the wort from the boiler into the FV as you have shown in your pic "into the FV".
This does get some oxygen into the wort, but the greater part is entrapped in the frothy head which then dissipates back to atmosphere.
If you transfer from the boiler to the FV with the method you show in your pic "First runnings", you will get far more oxygen into the wort without the mess of the head.
This method comes from decanting wine to rapid age it before drinking.
Source: a trip round a French vinyard many years ago.

Aha - that does look like the same hop filters.. always handy to know!

The elements are 3KW immersion elements which are on commando plugs to a dedicated supply.

The cooler also came from bionicmunky, I have just reworked it slightly to fit this pot ( he used it in a 100l gas powered one, so no elements to work around). It drops 40 litres from 100 - 80 in under 3 minutes, then around 30 mins to get it down to 25C

Cheers Ev for the tip on transferring to the FV, I have always just dropped from height but may well try this method next time. Need to check what tube I have - but if it gets more oxygen in, it's got to be a good thing.

This is looking likely to be kegged next week

Thanks
Paul

Latest posts

Back