Brewing software

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulgough said:
I'm thinking about using some brewing software for the first time.

What are the advantages? If I'm following a recipe is that not enough?

Which is best?

All advice welcome :D

I'm on beersmith and I really like it.

Pop over for a beer at the weekend (actually, do you fancy a BIAB brewday? I'm going for a 40l batch of something...) and you can have a play with it if you like?

yes i've been using brun water , i think that's good (as far as i know) just brewed a hefe with treated water and after only 2 days in the bottle i opened 1 (yeah i know but it smelt so good in the fv , vanilla with banana ) and i think it may be my best so far . :D

pittsy said:
yes i've been using brun water , i think that's good (as far as i know) just brewed a hefe with treated water and after only 2 days in the bottle i opened 1 (yeah i know but it smelt so good in the fv , vanilla with banana ) and i think it may be my best so far . :D

Do you acidify your water as a result of using it or are you still sticking to CRS? I tried using CRS but was not happy with the results (or the cost) so have gone over to using phosphoric acid to do the "heavy lifting", been getting some very precise pH measurements for the mash. Actually using less hops now, as getting the right pH range is allowing them to shine better. I think I must have been getting a pH that was a lot higher and this was producing a "better" environment for hop isomerisation. but it was producing a much harsher perception of bitterness.

well i've only used crs twice now and i also need to dilute to get my ra down otherwise my sulphate goes up too much with the crs and i want balanced not hoppy for my style of beers , but saying that i've just ordered some acidulated malt , i've been advised around 3% but shall do the maths etc , before i was getting around 6ph in mashing with crs i get around 5.6/5.8 so with a little help with the acid malt i may be able to drop it a little more without sulphate increase , still early days with this water stuff. :shock:

Aleman said:
Underground said:
Anything for Mac OSX out there that anyone is aware of?
Beer Alchemy from Kentplace software :thumb: :thumb:
I use Qbrew on Linux and there's a version available for Mac and Windows.

Not as good as Beer engine as it doesn't show %, but other than that it's fine.

Any recommendations for those on android phones/tablets , pc is unfortunately kaput ( new laptop for daughter for Christmas but think Mrs will be ****** if I oik it to install brewing programs hehe )

I use Brewfather, on my iphone/iPad but it’s available for android and you can use it for free for up to 10 batches, by which time you might have a pc again.

Brewfather is very good it runs on a browser in any operating system and has dedicated apps for iOS and Android. I run it on my Mac, iPad and android phone, it synchronises seamlessly across all three.
There is a free version that lists you to 10 recipes and a vey good value Premium subscription that i signed up to very quickly once I had used it a few times.
Integrates with lots of home-brew devices.

This David Heath Youtube video is good introduction:

Another brewfather recommendation here, as previously mentioned it is cloud based so works across all platforms and syncs between all your devices. Can't remember how much the annual subscription was for the pro version but don't think it was much

What are the advantages? If I'm following a recipe is that not enough?
Yes and no. The recipe will be based on the writers system and ingredients or an approximation of theoretical values. Your brewing system and ingredients will vary slightly, such as losses from liqour below taps, heat loss in the mash tun, different alpha acids in hops, attenuation of different yeasts and even the altitude at which you boil at. So, you can follow a recipe or use software to better predict gravity, colour, bitterness, pH, volumes etc of that recipe with your ingredients on your system. They are just calculators though, that are only as good as the quality of data entered. The more complicated the software the more accurate the predictions, in theory.

The real advantage comes when designing your own recipes, software cuts down on a plethora of manual calculations and cross referencing data from things like malt specification sheets. Change the quantity, type or ratios of ingredients and all the work is done for you.

Brewing software also functions a good form of record keeping, with all your recipes in one place in a standardised format.

Last edited:
I know this was a little while back, but when entering a new malt into the inventory, can anyone explain how I figure out what to put for diastatic power, ie degrees Lintner? I use Crisp and the data sheet for, say, clear choice pale malt looks like this:

PARAMETER IoB EBC ASBC
MOISTURE 4.5% max4.5% max 4.5% max
EXTRACT 305 L°/kg80.6%80.6%
COLOUR 3.0-5.0 EBC3.3-5.5 EBC 1.7-2.5 °L
TN/TP1.45-1.85%9.0-12.0%9.0-12.0%
SNR/KI/ST RATIO38-48 43-54 43-54

Whilst Brewfather asks for Colour, Potential (PPG), Yield % and Diastatic Power. What goes where? I downloaded this "calculator" spreadsheet from the brewfather website but it's as clear as mud and doesn't help with Lintner. The Brewfather automatic data for Clear Choice suggests I should use °L value of 62 but what is this based on? Please help! I spent hours entering the data, including the prices, of all the hops The Malt Miller sells and now stuck on the malts!

I know this was a little while back, but when entering a new malt into the inventory, can anyone explain how I figure out what to put for diastatic power, ie degrees Lintner? I use Crisp and the data sheet for, say, clear choice pale malt looks like this:

PARAMETERIoBEBCASBC
MOISTURE4.5% max4.5% max4.5% max
EXTRACT305 L°/kg80.6%80.6%
COLOUR3.0-5.0 EBC3.3-5.5 EBC1.7-2.5 °L
TN/TP1.45-1.85%9.0-12.0%9.0-12.0%
SNR/KI/ST RATIO38-4843-5443-54

Whilst Brewfather asks for Colour, Potential (PPG), Yield % and Diastatic Power. What goes where? I downloaded this "calculator" spreadsheet from the brewfather website but it's as clear as mud and doesn't help with Lintner. The Brewfather automatic data for Clear Choice suggests I should use °L value of 62 but what is this based on? Please help! I spent hours entering the data, including the prices, of all the hops The Malt Miller sells and now stuck on the malts!
I spent hours mucking about with "Diastatic Power": For most people it's entirely un-necessary, it's main purpose being to determine how much un-malted adjunct you can get away with (gawd forbid!). As a result, I found many of the "DP" values in recipe builders were complete garbage! Just don't bother with "DP", you will be missing out on nothing at all.

Thank you! As I don't use that much adjunct, it may just be a bridge I cross should I get there.

Whilst I have you here, I have another question with Brewfather.

In the inventory, you have the option of adding pricing... however how do I see how much this brew will cost me in materials at the end based on the values I've put in? I tried exporting the recipe to PDF but I can't see anything about total material cost mentioned.

In the inventory, you have the option of adding pricing... however how do I see how much this brew will cost me in materials at the end based on the values I've put in? I tried exporting the recipe to PDF but I can't see anything about total material cost mentioned.
It’s on the planning tab of the Batch

Pricing? Beersmith (that I use) has that too. You can spend (waste?) hours with that keeping it up-to-date. Along with (slightly more useful) "inventory". I'm sure some people find them useful additions to manage their "operation". Do they make better beer? Well, if you need them to be sure you have the stuff to make beer then I guess they are good? Otherwise, another meaningless way of wasting time (I've developed loads of them).

Latest posts

Back