Brewers yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chassyp

Reaction score
I notice debittered brewers yeast powder is sold in Holland and Barrets for £3.89 for 460gm. Is it the same as I use and can I use it in my beer brewing?? :thumb:

I don't think so.. :wha:
If your in Holland and Barrets your more than likely looking at a type of brewers yeast tablet/powder...H & B are a health shop as such.

I'd stick with what ever yeast you have now. :thumb:

ps...lets see what the guys say.

I think that the brewers yeast available in health shops is actually excess yeast that is skimmed or settled from the brewing process.

I guess following its recovery, it is pressed and then dried.
Further guessing here.....they are probably after the B vitamins that it is rich in and the yeast would probably be inactive after recovery and processing.

I did research into this as well cause I saw it and was like wow whats it doing in this section of the market. It's completely inactive and as mark said is being sold for its very high bvit stores. Deff stick to the active culture from brew stores

I have a number of microbreweries near to me (in fact well over twenty in Kent alone) and wondered about asking one for a small amount of their brewer's yeast. If I manage to get some, it seems I can store it in the fridge for quite a few weeks. How much should I use in a typical brew? Should I make a starter bottle or simply dump it in? Thanks.

Go very steady if you get yeast from a brewery and store it for a week, i'm not going into it now! Best to get on the same day in a sanitised sealed container.

Richard

Bopper said:
Go very steady if you get yeast from a brewery and store it for a week, i'm not going into it now! Best to get on the same day in a sanitised sealed container.

Richard

Please do, I am intrigured :grin:

Personally I have never had a problem with brewery yeast which has been top cropped and stored. I got a fantastic batch from Darcey (Black Jack Brewery Manchester)which he had top cropped and was storing in the fridge ready for his next brew. Used it about a week later with no detriment to the brew, ( by that I mean it fermented fine and I have wonderful beer).

The only thing you need to do if you store it in a pop bottle is to vent it everyday before you use it and make sure it is taken out of the fridge for a few hours before pitching. :thumb:

Used brewers yeast a fair bit over the last few years and always found it better the quicker you use it the better rather than leave a week.

I wrote that because he seems a newbie and NOT for the experienced brewer would know all about sanitisation! just helps him to keep infection to minimal risk!

Richard

Bopper said:
I wrote that because he seems a newbie and NOT for the experienced brewer would know all about sanitisation! just helps him to keep infection to minimal risk!

Richard

Fair enough, but by not giving out the full facts you are denying future readers your experience and knowledge and furthermore make yourself look like someone who doesn't want to share his knowledge.

I'm sorry if i didn't explain thing right! I've wrote a few posts in layman's terms, this because of, if someone doesn't understand and we get all technical, their going to be more confused. Myself i absolutely love taking culture's from bottles.

Sorry if anyone has misunderstood me.

Richard

Thanks for that. Many years ago, when I initially did homebrewing, I visited the local Goachers Brewery here in Maidstone and Phil Goacher just went to the fridge and scooped up a dollop of yeats into a jam jar. I think at the time I simply added it to the brew and it worked a treat. Another alternative is to visit my local pub and see if any of my favourite brews had just run out, and ask for some sediment from the bottom of the cask.

"Sanitizing"? Another new word has crept in; we used to call it sterilizing. I'll add that word to "punk IPA" :lol:

Paul Narramore said:
"Sanitizing"? Another new word has crept in; we used to call it sterilizing.
That's because sanitising is not the same as sterilising. No brewer has ever sterilised his brewing equipment (although he should sterilise his yeast lab equipment).

I'm sure you can get away with a non sanitised jar for brewer's yeast because it is very active (if top cropped) and so will very quickly get going and out compete the bacteria.

So sanitising is not the same as sterilising? Yet we make up a sterilising solution? Or has that name also been changed? Without a fuller explanation, it sounds like the same thing to me, to kill germs which are possibly in the equipment.

To sterilise you need an autoclave. You can also use dry heat but it's much slower. Other methods include irradiation, but I don't think that's available to the home brewer.

Back