Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Panasonic SD254 off Ebay after my old SD251 bit the dust , it's producing perfect loaves and I've just made a spicy mixed fruit loaf of which I've just consumed an enormous crust smeared with Lurpak whilst still warm , lovely .
Hope I've got enough room left for the partridge in red wine and cranberry sauce for dinner. :whistle:

Have recently had a new all gas cooker with programmable timer.
With my old electric, fan assisted, oven I cooked a 1lb loaf at 140C ( Gas 1.5) for 30 mins.
I now need to use gas 4 (175C) for 35 mins.
Roll on Gas ovens with fan assist!

Pearlfisher said:
....... and I've just made a spicy mixed fruit loaf of which I've just consumed an enormous crust smeared with Lurpak whilst still warm , lovely .

ehhhhh lad tha's posh, not like me I'm 'appy wi a plain white loaf wi a covering o' drippin from 't roast beef :lol:

however you make it, whatever you put in it and whatever you put on it ....... you really cannot beat fresh home made bread eh :thumb:

Well this weekends efforts in the baking front, a rather nice 'granary' style loaf. This one was sour dough but it could easily be done with normal yeast. It uses Wheat malt (or you could use torrified wheat) and malt extract. you could also mix in oat flakes and perhaps barley flakes or any grain without a husk.

IMG-20130126-00162_zps093c9378.jpg

The recipe

Sour Dough

Flour 611g
Rye Flour 206g
Wheat Malt 163g
water 300ml
milk 300ml
Starter 327g
Salt 16g
Butter 33g
malt extract 44g

Total 2000g

Dried Yeast Version

Flour 769
Rye Flour 205
Mixed Grains 163
water 471
milk 300
Starter
Salt 16

Butter 33
Molasses 44

Total 1000g

Going to do a 5 seed garlic loaf today, half white/half granary wholemeal. Might stick in some sundried tomatoes if i can find any!

Sounds nice Mr Wiseman :thumb:

Don't forget the photo's

I am just planning my weekend backing. Doing the Granary again but may add some seseme seeds ( I got 500g for about £1.20 from chinesse super market) and some sunflower seed asldi have it on offer.

Also going to try a no kneed recipe and also going to do pizza.

As a result I am working out how much sourdough starter i need to refresh ready for friday. :thumb: :thumb:

It is but unless you leave the dough to ferment for about 24hrs before baking then it isn't really sough especially when fresh. If you have it after a couple of days you will taste a little sourness.

BAsically you need to get a starter going by mixing flour and water in equal parts by weight. There are plenty of different regimes to get a starter going but I think I used this one

here

It seems a bit daunting but is quite easy really.

graysalchemy said:
It is but unless you leave the dough to ferment for about 24hrs before baking then it isn't really sough especially when fresh. If you have it after a couple of days you will taste a little sourness.

BAsically you need to get a starter going by mixing flour and water in equal parts by weight. There are plenty of different regimes to get a starter going but I think I used this one

here

It seems a bit daunting but is quite easy really.

Hmm, looks interesting. Do enjoy a sourdough so might try it. Cheers GA

It does take a little planning as I have to refresh the starter on Thursday ready to back on Saturday morning (when the sourdough is at its peak)

Basically I refresh the starter on Thursday morning, let it ferment, Increase its size friday morning let it ferment, then friday night make my dough leave it over night to rise and bake on saturday morning. Lovely bread for lunch saturday. :thumb:

Setting myself a challenge this week by doing two different types of loaf and also pizza's saturday night. :thumb:

1.5 cups water
4tbsp dried milk powder
4 tbsp oil (i use the oil from the sundried tomato jar)
2tbsp sugar
2tsp salt
2 cups strong white bread flour
2 cups wholemeal granary bread flour
1.25 tsp dried yeast (tried rehydrating it before hand this time and bread certainly rose more than normal)
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
2-3 handfuls of mixed seeds (pumpkin, poppy, sesame, linseed, sunflower)
tsp smoked paprika

Enjoying with marmite now! SWMBO left for work this morning without slicing any so I have a doorstop (the deal is I bake, she slices, not got a straight one yet :oops: )

I take it you mean bread made with bakers yeast?

Usually you knead then let it rise to double in size, then you shape it and let it rise again, once it has risen again then you can bake it. It will continue to rise in the oven obviously.

Thought I would resurrect This thread as I have had a good weekend of baking.

Started off with sourdough Crumpets on friday night whilst I was preparing, these

IMG-20130323-00211_zpsfd7ff338.jpg

Baked them Saturday morning and they ended up like this

IMG-20130323-00213_zps574f841d.jpg

IMG-20130324-00215_zps96bcab5b.jpg

Then on Satuday afternoon my yougest decided he wanted Baguettes so I made up the dough proved over night and baked these Sunday Morning.

IMG-20130324-00216_zpsf8af7d96.jpg

All the Granary bread went by Sunday morning and I have the last baguette today as a BLT.

:thumb: :thumb:

Back