Bottling Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willypt

Reaction score
So, my first kit has been on the FV since DEC 17th and tomorrow I'm planning on bottling the ale.

I'm reusing commercial 0.33cL beer bottles to condition my beer.
To remove the labels and give them a first and thorough cleanse, after washing them with a high pressure hose, I left them in a tub with water and bleach at about 5% concentration because they were rather dirty overnight. This morning I rinsed them, peeled the labels off and washed thoroughly with water to remove any bleach.
After this they looked brand spanking new.

Tomorrow I'm planning on washing them again with a faucet blast bottle washer and then dump them on a tub with active oxygen sanitizer and let them soak.
Now here's my question: should they rinse completely dry before bottling? Is it problematic if the sanitizing solution contacts the beer?

Second question: I don't have a secondary vessel and I will have to prime each bottle individually. How much sugar should I had to each bottle (0.33cL)?

Thanks in advance guys!

Definitely rinse the bottles, but no need to fully dry as long as you have used cold tap water to rinse (water from the hot tap comes from your storage tank and is not hygienic unless you have a combi boiler).

You will need about 1/3rd of a tea spoon per bottle (for beer), which will be a nightmare to measure out.

For my 500 ml bottles I use the small end of a child's medicine spoon (2.5 ml) to measure out my sugar. You will need about 1.8 ml, and I am not sure what measure exists for this amount. You might just have to guess!!!

I've read that other people do not rinse their bottles, instead some claim to keep the bottles soaking in the oxy solution right untill the moment they are going to fill it. At that moment they shake the water out of it, fill it and cap it. Those individuals claim that is how they always done it and it never went wrong.
I'm afraid that leaving an oxygen rich fluid contact my brew will oxidize the hell out of it. The label of the product does indeed say it's a "NO RINSE" product...
I'm also not very confident over my tap water quality because I don't quite know the condition of the plumbing in the apartment I'm currently living in.

On the priming topic:
I'm terrified. I'm even considering postponing the bottling one week and buy another FV and just bulk priming it. I'm afraid of having

Oxyclean does not steralise. It gives it a very good clean. Bleach will kill 'All Known Germs' as the saying goes from one big brand bleach purveyor. You have your cleaning routine **** about face so to speak. Soak in oxiclean then bleach than rinse well in COLD tap water and drain. No need to let dry. It is easier to batch prime in a bucket and then bottle rather than measure out small amounts of sugar but with a small funnel it can be done. Get some kitchen spoon measures. They usually have 1/4, 1/2, and 1 tsp measures. You can then measure 3/4 tsp somewhat laboriously into your bottles. I usually batch prime and bottle from a bucket with a Little Bottler.

Genuine no rinse sanitisers like Starsan make life a lot easier.

To prime without another bucket you could make up a sugar solution and then use a small syringe (available from all good pharmacies) to measure the exact amount into each bottle.

Batch priming is a better way of primimng as the sugar is distrubuted nice and evenly and you could probably wait a few more days with it in the 1st FV untill you get another vessel for bottling.

I've kept a few brews in the 1st FV for upto 4 weeks in the past. I know it's not ideal to leave it the 1st FV for too long, but on the occasions I have left it, I haven't had any issues.

The amount really does depend on personal taste. I batch prime an ale at 80 grams of sugar but I don't like my beer too fizzy. If you got hold of the kitchen spoon measures as mentioned by Bobsbeer, I would probably use 1/4 tsp of sugar in each 330ml bottle.

erl :drink:

Latest posts

Back