Bottles, bottles, bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awl23

Reaction score
I work next door to a pub so obtaining bootles is fairly easy - (read as climbing into their bottle bin)

but what difference do the colours make?

Do red wines have to go into green bottles or while it be ok in clear bottle?

Thanks

as above...
For wine.... green / brown are best
For beer brown/green are best

:D :D

Clear beer bottles are ok for short term storage, especially if you keep them out of direct sunlight.

a tip if your foraging bottles, get one or two in first instance and make sure you can fit a crown cap to them. If they fit collect as many as you can.
Some bottles have a funny size to them and never hold a caper ( that we buy in shops ) well. So you know not to collect them in future.

I prefer clear myself so I can see the wines properly. But mine are kept in a dark cupboard so sunlight isn't an issue.

piddledribble said:
as above...
For wine.... green / brown are best
For beer brown/green are best

:D :D

Clear beer bottles are ok for short term storage, especially if you keep them out of direct sunlight.

a tip if your foraging bottles, get one or two in first instance and make sure you can fit a crown cap to them. If they fit collect as many as you can.
Some bottles have a funny size to them and never hold a caper ( that we buy in shops ) well. So you know not to collect them in future.

Good advice, i never thought of that. Manager said i can take as many as i want so will find the best ones to use

It just doesn't seem right somehow, putting red wines into clear bottles, even though mine are all stored down in a cellar and spend most of their time in complete darkness.

I've got to start collecting more clear bottles though because I've just found and joined a local wine circle and all wines have to be presented for their in-house competitions in clear bottles.

I've read that only the brown bottles prevent the sunlight affecting the contents of a drink. And that green/clear were due to marketing techniques. No idea if that's actually the case though. Anyway it doesn't matter what colour bottle its in if you store it out of direct sunlight.

The bottles that i have collected are clear but my wine is in a dark garage. Clear is nice when it comes to cleaning as you can see if they really are clean.

Back