boiling wort in a tea urn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been thinking about buying an electric tea urn to boil water for my home brew. I was thinking of boiling the water for the mash and sparge in the tea urn and the using my boil kettle on the gas stove for the boil the same way I always do.
THis got me thinking though. Can I use the tea urn for the boil instead of the gas burner? If anyone out there has experience or advice regarding this I would really appreciate it.

Obviously depending on the urn, but yes, you can do everything in the urn - I'm currently using my 40L Buffalo for a BIAB as I type :)

Excellent! Can you think of any reason it wouldn't work for AG brews?

BIAB is all grain :)

The Buffalo has no problem maintaining a rolling boil, some people have issues with the thermal fuse and choose to replace it, and sometimes the thermostat, with a higher rated version. I have both higher rated parts at home, but (touch wood) haven't needed them, but if I do it's a very simple mod. You have to make sure you keep the element plate very clean though to avoid hot spots.

There's loads if info on them on here if you search :)

I brought a 35 litre urn (new from eBay £55) which went up to 110ç worked fine but was painfully slow and on the small side so I ended up buying a large (£9 50 litre) plastic storage bucket and 2 kettle from wilkos for £10 works a treat and less than half price

Surely the 2 kettle method can't be used for boiling the wort though?

Sorry poor explanation! remove the elements from the kettles and fit into the bucket one either side, use both to bring to the boil which takes about 20mins for 37litres and then switch 1 off to simmer which works well

Hi I doubt I will be doing this sort of thing any time soon as i just don't get it !! Unless someone local to me could show me how it's done properly just struggle to get my head around the recipes and the terminology, however thought this may interest anyone whom is looking for a buffalo urn.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-M...8?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item2a4573d7f2

Seems cheap

Are you sure that will maintain a rolling boil?

It looks to me like it has levels rather than temperature on the dial so cant be sure how hot the max is. I looked on amazon the other day and found one that goes to 110C. Just looked it up to show you what I mean
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HSOLS4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Don't know anything about it though so don't take this as recommending the product. The other thing Id say is look for reviews before buying any, one of the other makes had 1 star and apparently leaked. This at least has 4 1/2 stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that will maintain a rolling boil?

It looks to me like it has levels rather than temperature on the dial so cant be sure how hot the max is. I looked on amazon the other day and found one that goes to 110C. Just looked it up to show you what I mean
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HSOLS4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Don't know anything about it though so don't take this as recommending the product. The other thing Id say is look for reviews before buying any, one of the other makes had 1 star and apparently leaked. This at least has 4 1/2 stars.

I am as clueless as you on this ag stuff mate (ok maybe more clueless) I am very curious about it but doubt I ever will do it as to be honest looks a lot of expense for me to try it and figure out I cannot do it.

Just thought I'd have a nosey about and came across that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The buffalo holds rolling boil fine.. They changed the dial so the temperature (which wasn't hugely accurate but went up to 110) was replaced with 1-6 .. Still the same under the hood though :)

Hi Dazza Brewing AG does not need to be expensive, I spent lest than £70 on equipment to get started and with only knowledge found online (YouTube, forums etc.) have produced 11 AG brews now all very drinkable and streets ahead of extract kits although I would recommend downloading beersmith software which is free for 21days to help with recipes or buy a AG kit which will come with instructions

Back