Boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoxyBoy123

Regular.
Reaction score
Anybody want to make me a boiler?
I am rubbish at DIY and some people love it that much they might want to do me a favour ;)

Are you doing plastic or SS?

I built my own 30L plastic boiler from a old mango chutney barrel that I found at the back of an indian. Follow the How to and it is VERY easy. I am about to start making a 50L SS but am going to get all the parts first before I start.

alanywiseman said:
Are you doing plastic or SS?

I built my own 30L plastic boiler from a old mango chutney barrel that I found at the back of an indian. Follow the How to and it is VERY easy. I am about to start making a 50L SS but am going to get all the parts first before I start.

I am doing plastic, probably out of Chutney barrel too.

Dont want to get involved with soldering etc

How weird. I've been thinking the same thing. I did email the MM on Friday/Saturday to ask if it's possible and how much it'd cost to have elements fitted to his 50l boiler with tap and hop filter. He's not got back to me yet though. I need a boiler too!

I have spent a bit of time looking on here at tutorials about it, I think I might just end up giving it a go. I'm normally useless with DIY, but the tutorials (especially by vossy) are very well put together and comprehensive.

marksa222 said:
How weird. I've been thinking the same thing. I did email the MM on Friday/Saturday to ask if it's possible and how much it'd cost to have elements fitted to his 50l boiler with tap and hop filter. He's not got back to me yet though. I need a boiler too!

I have spent a bit of time looking on here at tutorials about it, I think I might just end up giving it a go. I'm normally useless with DIY, but the tutorials (especially by vossy) are very well put together and comprehensive.

Aye, I would rather pay a bit extra and have it done right

CoxyBoy123 said:
Thanks its more dealing with the elements that I am not keen on
If you're concerned about using elements taken from a kettle I am sympathetic. I bought new elements from the forum sponsor and it was just just a case of screwing them into the holes (that I cut myself but that can be pre-cut by the MM). There were no electrics involved in this method which I guess is your concern (and rightly so IMO).

as above, my boiler is a big plastic bucket with a 2.4kw element that you can get from the sponsors, get a heat proof kettle lead and all you need to do is just pop the element in and do up the nut. easy peasy, I take my element out every brew to give it a right cleaning aswel and it really is as easy as I say. no wiring, no soldering, no fuss.

jonnymorris said:
CoxyBoy123 said:
Thanks its more dealing with the elements that I am not keen on
If you're concerned about using elements taken from a kettle I am sympathetic. I bought new elements from the forum sponsor and it was just just a case of screwing them into the holes (that I cut myself but that can be pre-cut by the MM). There were no electrics involved in this method which I guess is your concern (and rightly so IMO).

You are correct, which sponsor?

sam.k said:
as above, my boiler is a big plastic bucket with a 2.4kw element that you can get from the sponsors, get a heat proof kettle lead and all you need to do is just pop the element in and do up the nut. easy peasy, I take my element out every brew to give it a right cleaning aswel and it really is as easy as I say. no wiring, no soldering, no fuss.

This is exactly what i am after too :thumb: . How do you get on with having just 1 element?

I did it without soldering anything. Drill the holes and screw the elements in place. Instead of soldering the lead to the pins you can buy a hot condition socket from Maplin and some 3 core 13 amp cable. Use the plugs from the kettles and wire the sockets then you are done.

I will try and take a pic of mine to illustrate it. It was very satisfying building my boiler and doing full boil extracts.

the Malt Miller does boilers in ss already with taps fitted he will also cut the holes for any element you want ( about £9 per hole.
The homebrew company sell decent elements. you will need the leads as well
One improvement is to throw away the supplied plastic lock nuts on the elements and get good sturdy metal ones from someone like these

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/KM8_LDK_Be ... _Nut-960-p

job done...open wallet.

That's what I don't want to do haha

Can get 100 - 200l barrels for free from work, so don't want to buy anything

alanywiseman said:
I did it without soldering anything. Drill the holes and screw the elements in place. Instead of soldering the lead to the pins you can buy a hot condition socket from Maplin and some 3 core 13 amp cable. Use the plugs from the kettles and wire the sockets then you are done.

I will try and take a pic of mine to illustrate it. It was very satisfying building my boiler and doing full boil extracts.

Here is what I did to prevent the soldering and it has worked great.

Not the best photo but you get the idea.

Latest posts

Back