BIAB with electric boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done 2 BIABs so far with a Lidls electric boiler. It came with a rack in the bottom which keeps the bag off the hot base.

I got a brewbag on eBay. They're called Viking Huge Sparge and Mashing Bags and they are a big voile pillow case. Perfect!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Huge-Mashing-...653532&cguid=47bd164512a0a0aad292db72ff873031

I can't compare with traditional AG but it's certainly an easier way into AG as you just use the one vessel. Doesn't take any less time though!

Make sure you insulate the boiler very well as you don't really want to maintain temp using the boiler.

You can improve efficiency by stiring the mash every 15 minutes and doing a mash out. After the 60 min mash, switch on the boiler and bring the temp up to 75c. Switch off and leave for 15 mins. Then take the bag out and continue as normal.

Works for me.

I bought the exact same bag around a week ago for this purpose, it's mahooosive!
Got all i need to build the boiler just waiting for some free time and a little help from the old man.
This method looks like a great way into AG from kits, I only have money and room for one vessel so this looks ideal. I've only done a couple of kits but after reading up on this method I'm really looking forward to trying it out!!!

Back