Best carbonation practice for Brew in Bag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2702

Reaction score
Hi,
My first post following what seems to be my first successful brewing session. I only did a small brew in bag, improvised IPA using a Mikkeler recipe.
Currenlty it’s in the FV and now once fermented have the daunting task of batch priming and then bottling. I will only have around 5/6 litres to bottle

What’s everyones thoughts on the best practice to carbonate and bottle small amounts like this?

Dan

Welcome to the forum. Personally I dont think there is a 'best practice'. Some will not bother batch priming, others will, some will siphon with or without an autosiphon, others will use a bottom tap with or without a little bottler. In the end its what suits you and what you feel comfortable with. If you are going to batch prime I suggest you make up a sugar syrup with a little boiled water, allow to cool, and then add that to the brew then leave it for an hour or so to merge in before packaging.
Use this calculator to estimate the quantity of sugar according to the carbonation level you require
Beer Priming Calculator - Brewer's Friend

For the small number of bottles I'd just add 1/2 a teaspoon of granulated sugar into each 500ml bottle using a funnel. Batch priming is an extra effort for little benefit.

Best practice. 5-6 litres. Right...

Rack out of your FV into "bottling bucket". Don't bother priming. Sit bucket next to favourite chair. Line up an evenings' worth of decent telly. Get favourite beer mug. Watch telly while frequently dipping beer mug into bucket. .... Hang on...

What? ... What do you mean I'm being irresponsible? ... Aye ... Okay.

Hi, I'm back. Apparently you need to ignore me. Listen to what the others have been saying. Have fun.

Hi!
Have you got gas?
Let me rephrase that - if you have access to a CO2 source, you could use a carbonation cap and a 500ml plastic bottle to force carbonate each bottle just before you drink it,

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the feedback. The beer has now finished fermentation, its fairly clear and a healthy mahogany colour...............now the bottling, I intend to make up a cane sugar solution in a sanitised bucket, syphon the beer from the FV into this bucket, stir gently and then syphon from this bucket into bottles..........sounds straight forward but am sure it will be stressful. lol
Now, most articles say to use around 5oz of priming sugar with 5 gallons, in reality I have around 4.5 l/l (1 gallon) to bottle, so I was going to use a single half an ounce to 3/4's as cane sugar seems to be used less in weight compared to priming sugar. Would this sound about right?
Will put pics up so everyone can see finished article..........hopefully its drinkable :)

5oz is 140g. Most brewers would use 80g per 5 gallons for ales and 100g if you like a bit more life. Admittedly we're all different in our opinions but 140g might be more lager than IPA level.

American IPAs are, apparently, served with high carb levels so 140g in 23litres might not be too excessive. And even English IPAs have a medium to medium-high carb levels unlike cask ale.

American IPAs are, apparently, served with high carb levels so 140g in 23litres might not be too excessive. And even English IPAs have a medium to medium-high carb levels unlike cask ale.
It would not surprise me if American iPA is that highly carbonated. But British IPA? (The Scots could churn it out too). Much bottled stuff like "Worthington White Shield" (the last "IPA" that still has roots in the past) might well have a medium carbonation level, but trying to impose that carbonation level on a real draught IPA - careful, you are treading on hallowed ground.

Even the Americans describe current British so-called iPAs in disparaging terms. There's no "IPAs" as such left except for a few awful keg examples that only go by that name. The nearest will be domestic Pale Ales, and all will be cask. Back a 100 years and nearest might still be domestic Pale Ales, but Pale Ales that would knock the spots of current so-called iPA. Those would all be cask of course. Back another 50 or so years and you really are in IPA times.

And emulated-cask priming levels? For my Pale Ales (Bitter) that would be about 15-20g sugar in five US gallons (a Corny keg). But it takes a bit of effort to successfully serve beer with that level of carbonation.

U
It would not surprise me if American iPA is that highly carbonated. But British IPA? (The Scots could churn it out too). Much bottled stuff like "Worthington White Shield" (the last "IPA" that still has roots in the past) might well have a medium carbonation level, but trying to impose that carbonation level on a real draught IPA - careful, you are treading on hallowed ground.

Even the Americans describe current British so-called iPAs in disparaging terms. There's no "IPAs" as such left except for a few awful keg examples that only go by that name. The nearest will be domestic Pale Ales, and all will be cask. Back a 100 years and nearest might still be domestic Pale Ales, but Pale Ales that would knock the spots of current so-called iPA. Those would all be cask of course. Back another 50 or so years and you really are in IPA times.

And emulated-cask priming levels? For my Pale Ales (Bitter) that would be about 15-20g sugar in five US gallons (a Corny keg). But it takes a bit of effort to successfully serve beer with that level of carbonation.
Source:- 2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
American IPAs Section 21a
English IPAs Section 12c (viz Worthington White Shield)
Also for American Ales
Beer Priming Calculator - Brewer's Friend
I presume this applies to bottled beer.
Not tried any Scottish IPAs for years.
Most keg English IPAs Like Greene King are a poor imitation of the style
We agree on cask ales carbing levels.

U

Source:- 2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
American IPAs Section 21a
English IPAs Section 12c (viz Worthington White Shield)
Sourced from the BJCP. Great for when making "American" styles, but don't let it dictate how we should make British styles. We are British after all. The BJCP must know they offend the British with their descriptions of British beers, but they do it anyway. For example, the 2015 version bumped up the suggested carbonation of English bitter from 1.3 volumes of CO2 (2008 version) to 1.5. Where did they get that from? 1.3 was too high.

Anyway, I'm not often tempted to go off on one here, I was just pushed a bit too far that time. I'll slink back into the shadows now. It's like being in a Star-trek scene this forum. I tip-toe around the forum "corridors" trying not to be noticed, but expect to be assimilated any moment by the Borg. And I've just done something to get noticed. Quick, they're coming, I'm off now.

Evening all, so bottling was interesting, got a little bit stressed by it all but in the end I got 4 full bottles. It’s been in bottle for a week, and the bottles have thrown a lot of sediment. Pouring one out slowly there was good carbonation and it was clear and a lovely colour. The taste if Im honest is nice, but it has a sour note at the end. Would further Bottle ageing mellow that sour tang or is it a fault in my production of the beer?

Pics added

Attachments

• AA7A2E03-6BC2-415F-A8D3-789621D664DF.jpeg
    AA7A2E03-6BC2-415F-A8D3-789621D664DF.jpeg
    21.7 KB
  • A8E0AA69-7B8B-4F13-897D-479CF2817085.jpeg
    A8E0AA69-7B8B-4F13-897D-479CF2817085.jpeg
    32.8 KB
If you're bottle conditioning and it's only been a week then it'll definitely get better. Those yeast are still dancing and the sourness could well be them. If it's definitely carbonated fine then get them somewhere cold and it'll drop the yeast out.

What size bottles are they if you only got 4? It looks pretty decent, mind.

Best practice. 5-6 litres. Right...

Rack out of your FV into "bottling bucket". Don't bother priming. Sit bucket next to favourite chair. Line up an evenings' worth of decent telly. Get favourite beer mug. Watch telly while frequently dipping beer mug into bucket. .... Hang on...

What? ... What do you mean I'm being irresponsible? ... Aye ... Okay.

Hi, I'm back. Apparently you need to ignore me. Listen to what the others have been saying. Have fun.

How did I miss this? That must be the silliest post on the Forum in ages. Just so funny, of course. Nice one PeeBee!

500ml bottles, I had about 4 litres but probably left 1.5/2litres in the demi to avoid sucking up the yeast on the bottom. This coming Saturday I will be making another IPA. This time it will be a larger batch, let’s hope it’s drinkable lol

Latest posts

Back