Beer Mega frothy!!! any help??? please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hev

Reaction score
Hi all, have been brewing with Youngs bitter kits for 12 months now. have had some great beers, including adding some brew malt for taste and strength. Last brew tho' as soon as you pop it, it starts mega frothing, dragging up all the sediment and turning into nothing more than froth!!! gutted. :( Any ideas people ??? Hoping the answer is to leave it to settle a little longer - she says hopefully :) Happy brewing :cheers:

Sounds like it's been over primed....how much sugar did you use?
Are you letting the bottles warm up before opening...beer holds more CO2 when cold and if warmed and opened it will 'foam'.
It could also be infection :shock:

Assuming you prime the same for each batch it could be that it hadn't finished fermenting out before you bottled it... I had a batch like this, I could've made a fortune selling it to Bernie Ecclestone!

Vossy1 said:
Sounds like it's been over primed....how much sugar did you use?
Are you letting the bottles warm up before opening...beer holds more CO2 when cold and if warmed and opened it will 'foam'.
It could also be infection :shock:

thanks for your quick response! only used same sugar as normal. chill on back doorstep with the weather!! colder than cellar! maybe i'll leae it a bit longer to see if it settles - hope it's not infected, what a waste!! :cheers:

keith1664 said:
Assuming you prime the same for each batch it could be that it hadn't finished fermenting out before you bottled it... I had a batch like this, I could've made a fortune selling it to Bernie Ecclestone!

hi keith, thanks for your quick answer. lol at bernie, maybe i'll give him a call for this batch! yes prime same as always. if it hadn't fermented before bottling, will it eventually settle do you think, or am i just an optimist lol :D no harm in waiting a couple of weeks and trying again eh! :cheers:

just wait a bit and if it's still explosive try chilling the bottles in the fridge before opening.....and be careful if the fermentation hadn't finished you could have potential bottle bombs on your hands

Latest posts

Back