Beer finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvo

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing my second batch of stout.
The first batch i used finings because my HBS told me to.
Now this may be a stupid question But thinking about it do
you need to use them in a stout as its so dark that you cant see through it anyway?
:wha: :wha: :wha:

Hi there Jarvo.

I think using finings depends on whether you are bottling or barreling. I have never used finings in my stout, I find that all my beers drop bright no later than two weeks after bottling (I always bottle). Maybe other members could give advice on whether they use finings in the barrel.

Cheers Neil

I usually bottle too, but I use finings to limit the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. True it falls bright within two weeks but I prefer it clear before I bottle.
As for stout, sometime I do sometimes I don't.

It's an interesting question. I've had finings supplied in a kit that frankly didn't seem to produce any different result from the next kit that came without finings :hmm:

I've now invested in some isinglass which I'll try using on my next brew, although I've been totally happy with the brews I've done without any finings :wha:

BigYin said:
I've now invested in some isinglass which I'll try using on my next brew, although I've been totally happy with the brews I've done without any finings :wha:
I have always used Gelatine (Supercook) finings in my beers.. I used it because it cleared my beers and it formed a cake on the yeast on the bottom of the FV. However, when I saw Aleman's Post about Isinglass being better.. I bought some from Maltmiller...I bought the Magicol..which is Isinglass in a dried form. I blended it with water with a Braun blender for about 20mins to get it dissolved :whistle: It was quite a pain..but having tested my beer today..it has worked well :thumb:

Thanks for the info chaps.
So im gonna start putting them in after ive racked
to another fv for a better result, As the first batch i put the finings
in the fv and then strait into the bottles.

I didn'nt use the finings and its been bottled for about two weeks now so i decided to try a bottle last night.I cannot beleave the difference in taste! This batch has much more flavour than the first batch and the only difference was not adding the finings so i don't think i'll be using them in my stouts :drink:

jarvo said:
I didn'nt use the finings and its been bottled for about two weeks now so i decided to try a bottle last night.I cannot beleave the difference in taste! This batch has much more flavour than the first batch and the only difference was not adding the finings so i don't think i'll be using them in my stouts :drink:

Rightly or wrongly I never use finings. I allow the beer to drop bright in a the secondary fermenter for up to 4 weeks :P (Sometimes chilling depending on style & yeast used) I have allways had the notion that something is lost in the flavour by fining. Another advantage I beleave is that the yeast sediment after conditioning in bottles will pack down much better. Just my thoughts but with patience all beer will clear of its own accord :thumb:

Latest posts

Back