Bag in the box wine containers with oxygen barrier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwh

Regular.
Reaction score
I have been using the standard PVC bag in a box products for a while, I find it much much easier than bottles and I can just have a glass when I want, without the need for opening a bottle. I can also fill bottles when I like for friends, parties etc.
I can also fill a 10 litre bag to 8 litres etc without worrying about topping up (just expell the air).
Having nearly 100Litres of wine to get ready in the next few months, I have been thinking about better quality easy bulk storage / bulk aging solutions.
I have had an interesting conversation with a major UK supplier of bag in box drink dispensers.
Their products have a special oxygen barrier material to prevent oxydisation. They do products from 5 to 20 Litres.
In a commercial clean environment (winery or food prep plant) full red wines have a life expectancy of around 18 months, lighter more fragile whites etc 12 months. Obviously in a home environment this is not possible and this life expectancy could be easily halved if care isn't taken to introduce infection. It also depends on the alcohol content as I wouldn't expect low 10% kit wines to last long but I would expect a 13/14% red to last for a fair while.
Unfortunately they are only abalable in 10's (mixed lot ok) but I am still going to pop an order in, anyone near Barnsley/ Leeds interested in sharing 10 ?
5l ones are about £3 each the 10L ones about £4 each, 20L ones £5 plus approx. £10 carriage depending on size.
I can get exact prices if anyone is interested.

http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/buyit.html

This is where I usually buy mine from, they're very good value and work out at approx £2.80 per 5L white box (even including the extra carriage costs I pay for being off the mainland) My LHBS charges 6.00 for one bag in box, so I'm much better off buying these. Delivery is quick too!! :)

I have ordered 10, 10 litre boxes :thumb:
Thats the bulk aging sorted for the 32L on the go, with 60L in the pipeline :D
Should make blending the cab sauv and the merlot a breeze too :cheers:

I'm rather new to home wine making but I'd be interested in using a box. I've just bottled my first merlot and washing, steralising and filling 30 bottles is a real chore!

Can I ask do you need any special filling equipment and how do these fare if kept on the fridge for white wines?

ingypingy2 said:

This is where I usually buy mine from, they're very good value and work out at approx £2.80 per 5L white box (even including the extra carriage costs I pay for being off the mainland) My LHBS charges 6.00 for one bag in box, so I'm much better off buying these. Delivery is quick too!! :)

I have been using these guys for a year or two now.....
Top tip for you......
I re use the cardboard outer boxes many times over.
Just tape them up with duct tape & when the bag inside is empty carefully slit the duct tape & remove the bag & bin it.
Bung a new bag in & re use the box.
Some of my boxes I have used maybe 8 or 10 times before they new replacing.

dracunculus said:
I'm rather new to home wine making but I'd be interested in using a box. I've just bottled my first merlot and washing, steralising and filling 30 bottles is a real chore!

Can I ask do you need any special filling equipment and how do these fare if kept on the fridge for white wines?

No you dont need any special equipment.
Just a sterilised piece of tubing to fill the bag then push the tap closure in 2 clicks.
Fairly hard to get in but once you get the knack its quite easy.
I use 10 litre bags so I dont think the fridge shelf would stand the weight !!
I brew 23 litre wine kits so you need 2 bags & boxes per brew plus 3 or 4 bottles ( I use screwtops) for each batch.
It all depends how much you loose per batch with your racking.

I've bought 3 and 5 litre ones through my local homebrew shop before, excellent for the fridge :thumb:

ricardo said:
ingypingy2 said:

I have been using these guys for a year or two now.....
Top tip for you......
I re use the cardboard outer boxes many times over.
Just tape them up with duct tape & when the bag inside is empty carefully slit the duct tape & remove the bag & bin it.
Bung a new bag in & re use the box.
Some of my boxes I have used maybe 8 or 10 times before they new replacing.

I'm surprised that you bin the bag, given that they are also reusable :) Just don't make the same mistake I did and push the tap stopper the whole way in otherwise you won't get it back out, if you push it to the third line, it doesn't leak and will come out again no problem, then just sterilise and reuse :) you can actually get a few uses from the bags before renewing, and given that it costs me more to order just bags than it does for the whole lot, I'm happy to reuse a few times :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably go for a mixture of 10 and 3 litre sizes (just for ease of moving about!)

Last dumb question; do you need to sterilise the bags before you use them or are they sterile when they arrive?

I sterilised before first use just to be on the safe side :) got 4 in the sink sterilising just now, just about to bag up 4 gallons of strawberry ribena wine today :)

Manufacturers say they don't need to be sterilised from new as they are processed in clean environment and then sealed without air. Handle in as much a clean environment as possible with plastic disposable gloves. pop the tap/stopper in sanitising fluid while filling, take extra care to expell ALL air and pop the tap back on.
Just had the delivery of the 10L boxes and they are the dogs danglies. Very sturdy and an absolute bargain :thumb:

Wondering whether to sterilise anyway :hmm: Possibility a chance of getting more nasties in there than there already is no matter how careful :?: What dya reckon :?:

Well thats 50 Litres of gorgeous red bagged and boxed. Bulk aging and ready to drink all in one go :D

IMAG0239.jpg

Does the wine have to be super clear, and filtered before using bag in box?

I once had a 21 litre batch which failed to clear completely, despite fining and filtering, so I bagged it up anyway. After 2 weeks it ran clear. I rinse, but never sterilise and never had any problem. Tapwater contains a small amount of chlorine.

I have been using the standard PVC bag in a box products for a while, I find it much much easier than bottles and I can just have a glass when I want, without the need for opening a bottle. I can also fill bottles when I like for friends, parties etc.
I can also fill a 10 litre bag to 8 litres etc without worrying about topping up (just expell the air).
Having nearly 100Litres of wine to get ready in the next few months, I have been thinking about better quality easy bulk storage / bulk aging solutions.
I have had an interesting conversation with a major UK supplier of bag in box drink dispensers.
Their products have a special oxygen barrier material to prevent oxydisation. They do products from 5 to 20 Litres.
In a commercial clean environment (winery or food prep plant) full red wines have a life expectancy of around 18 months, lighter more fragile whites etc 12 months. Obviously in a home environment this is not possible and this life expectancy could be easily halved if care isn't taken to introduce infection. It also depends on the alcohol content as I wouldn't expect low 10% kit wines to last long but I would expect a 13/14% red to last for a fair while.
Unfortunately they are only abalable in 10's (mixed lot ok) but I am still going to pop an order in, anyone near Barnsley/ Leeds interested in sharing 10 ?
5l ones are about £3 each the 10L ones about £4 each, 20L ones £5 plus approx. £10 carriage depending on size.
I can get exact prices if anyone is interested.

Could I have a link to the company you got these from please?

Latest posts

Back