Average brewers age ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evening kids talk about feeling old, admit to being 63, surely cant be the oldest on here, wheres all the rest of the granddads, did the kits back in the early seventies beer and wine and what a load of **** they were, moved to france 6 years ago and had to put up with lager which i dont realy like, decided to make cider last year, while looking up how to, found this forum and didnt believe what people were saying about the ag beer they were making, dived in straight to ag and what a pleasant surprise done 10 now and touch wood never made a bad one yet, funny how friends seem to turn up more regulary now. anyway time to put on me slippers now, good brewing all. :cheers:
johnluc

i am 38 and only started less than two weeks ago, well apart from making hugh fernley whitshisfaces alcoholic ginger beer in 2l bottles.

Runwell-Steve said:
Of course, what we are actually learning here is the average age of a Home Brewer who is also a member of The Home Brew Forum.

My assumption would be that the Internet Forum world has many more people on board who are under the age of 40 than over, the internet is more of a way of life for younger people than it is for older people.

I'm not saying 40 is old by the way, just that people 40 and under were brought up with computers, once you get above 40 computers were not as common in schools etc..

The BBC Micro, probably the first computer to really start getting into schools was only launched in 1981, with a massive 16kB of RAM.

Lot of true there Steve, I was brewing before I had a computer. Can remember having an Atari games console then a commodore 64 in the early to mid 80s.

Wolverine said:
I wonder what the Average Age of the home brewer is.
I'm 28 and get odd looks from people when I mention my brewing, like it's reserved for the old and wrinkled .
it would be interesting to know what the average age is

I'm 41 and started last month.....have completed Woodfordes Admirals Reserve and just started fermenting St Peters Ruby Red.

38. Started dabbling with kits in the late 80's, did that on and off for 10 years or so, then had a bit of a break for ten years or so. In the meantime I found myself liking ales more and more (this is lager country full stop), started finding out about the all-grain side of things, got hold of the basic equipment and started on that sinister AG path last autumn. I have enjoyed the results and the fact that there's always something new to learn. Don't get to brew all that often, but when I do it's quality time.

Nearly 53
Did some home brews back in the 80's but no real success, made a tom caxtons lager once too - not great but drunk it.
But needed a new hobby here and with loads of free fruit in the garden it seemed obvious not to waste it to rot and uneaten so made loads of wines before finding the forum. Then got interested in the AG side and love diy so made stuff up here and not looked back - AG 3 coming soon - another bitter. But got rave reviews of my dark BBQ smoked stout at the weekend so need to make another. :cheers:

I'm currently 48 . . . brewing for 31 of those years.

I think the oldest on the forum is Bill (ChelstonHomeBrewery) at something like 72 . . . . :hmm:

I am 64 and first started with Geordie Bitter, :( hops and grain in a bag, bottled in pop bottles and not very good.
started hedgerow wines in 76 then started beers in the early 80's still trying to find the perfect pint ;)
and enjoying every attempt to find one
I must try harder :cheers:

26, and I am usually one of the youngest when it comes to brewing friends. Good to see I'm not the only youngin' around here :-D

BarnsleyBrewer said:
dennisking said:
a commodore 64 in the early to mid 80s.
Nice machine, they we're the dogs...... still got mine in't loft :D

I remember those, i still have one and also an Amstrad cpc464 hehe bomb jack was my fravorite game.

33 yr old here me, i 1st started over 10 years ago. My local homebrew store man got me started, he even gave me credit to get my 1st brew on.

Thisledome said:
My local homebrew store man got me started, he even gave me credit to get my 1st brew on.

Do you think the Stockport HBS will give me credit to buy a 110L SS conical? Oh and a 100 L boiler...and.... and...

Back