Asda Apple Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy87

Reaction score
OK, sorry if in wrong section but wanted to post :)

Anyways....done my first batch today of apple cider, got 3 demijohns for £7 so thought, cant leave them all empty so need filling.

Ingredients

1.5L Asda Smart Price 50% Concentrate Apple Juice x3
100g Sugar (Dextrose)
5g Wilkos Wine Yeast
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Wilkos)

2 hours later, already fermenting, anyone want to suggest anything or say it will go wrong, fire away, I'm open to criticism, its the best way to learn.
:cheers:
k7revw1cr

cp89n99zv

5yn702xgb

ADMIN PLEASE EDIT PICS TO SHOW, LINKS WONT SHOW IMAGE?

used the same juice before. makes a decent TC so nothing to worry about. good luck! :thumb:

btw, for a Brothers clone, you can add coffee syrup in the glass. Caramel will make a Toffee Apple flavour! :cheers:

RobWalker said:
used the same juice before. makes a decent TC so nothing to worry about. good luck! :thumb:

btw, for a Brothers clone, you can add coffee syrup in the glass. Caramel will make a Toffee Apple flavour! :cheers:
That sounds like i may need to get another DJ ready :)

By the way 1.5L asda apple 68p opposed to 65p for 1 litre at mo :)

I find it quite strong enough without adding any sugar, but 100g in a gallon is only a bit over 1%

Replacing half to one litre of the AJ with something else improves it a fair bit, IMHO.
Current favourites are cranberry, blueberry, and cherry.

Which wine yeast? Some give similar results to cider yeast, some seem a bit funkier

You did leave plenty of headspace ?

oldbloke said:
I find it quite strong enough without adding any sugar, but 100g in a gallon is only a bit over 1%

Replacing half to one litre of the AJ with something else improves it a fair bit, IMHO.
Current favourites are cranberry, blueberry, and cherry.

Which wine yeast? Some give similar results to cider yeast, some seem a bit funkier

You did leave plenty of headspace ?

Didn't want a strong one for a first batch taste as never made it so want to increase levels as i enjoy it more.

Used the wilkos branded wine yeast universal one.

Plenty enough head space oh yes! Ive seen a few disasters on here to know to leave room :)

I made something similar using lidl cloudy apple juice a few years back. I added more sugar than I needed and the stuff was rocket fule I made it far too strong. I tried again and with less sugar it worked out fairly well. I have also tried this with a little bit of honey before too and that is quite nice. I would just watch out with these as it's difficult to estimate how much sugar is in the juice from the start.

Your apple juice doesn't appear to be 100% apple Juice. You are better using the 100% from concentrate as it has more apple in it. TC is delicate at the best of times and lacks a lot of flavour so using a juice which only has 50% juice will probably be a little lacking in the taste department. What are the other ingredients any artificial sweetners?

oldbloke said:
AZZKIKR said:
it's difficult to estimate how much sugar is in the juice from the start.

It's printed on the cartons!

sorry going from memory here but I am sure the stuff I got from lidl had an estimate for the amount of sugar on the carton. Im fairly sure it was all in German too, it was a few years ago that I did this so sorry I could be wrong.

AZZKIKR said:
oldbloke said:
AZZKIKR said:
it's difficult to estimate how much sugar is in the juice from the start.

It's printed on the cartons!

sorry going from memory here but I am sure the stuff I got from lidl had an estimate for the amount of sugar on the carton. Im fairly sure it was all in German too, it was a few years ago that I did this so sorry I could be wrong.

Lidl have everything in English nowadays, dunno about the past. Most of their stuff has about 8 languages on it.

Latest posts

Back