Apple juice based wines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
There was a small discussion on this in another topic, but thought I'd go again...

Any suggestions for a recipe? I think it would make a wonderful summer wine. reportedly 2 litres of apple juice to the gallon makes a wine that's as good as 2 litres of WGJ.

is 2ltr apple juice + 600g sugar + water to top, tannin & citric enough? I like 10% - 12% wines.

Pear and apple wine sounds good, how much pulped pear?

suggestions, fire 'em at me. i'm thinking things like grapefruit, pineapple, lychee, light fruity flavours :thumb:

I always use apple in combination with other juices and equal WGJ. Can't go wrong really. Of late I have been using 1 grapefruit zest and juiced per gallon in my wines and have noticed a big difference. Depending on the juices I try to get the ph to 3.4-3.5 with tartaric if needed. My Gold winning wine at TST was an apple based wine with Grapefruit and Pineapple. I made 25lt with 2 Apple, 1 Grapefruit, 1 Pineapple and 1 Aldi Exotic juice and 5 WGJ. With about 100g chopped sultanas. 4 kg granulated sugar Lalvin D47 yeast, ph 3.4, SG 1.088

The recipe I have calls for all the liquid to be apple juice, which is what I'd have guessed anyway, apple isn't the strongest of flavours, adding water will only weaken the flavour.

I've used apple juice as a substitute for WGJ in a few wines I've made. Even dilted it does add a distinctive flavour, though I don't think it's as good as wgj its an acceptable substitute IMO. Used in the right quantities I reckon it could be used to create a good blend and help add a bit of depth

One of the best wines I made so far was an apple and mango. Just follow the WOW recipe substituting apple for grape and mango for the OJ. It did have quite a perfumed, fruity nose.

If it is apple wine you want, use all apple juice instead of diluting with water, you'll get a much better wine. Swap 1 or 2 litres of it for something else if you want other flavours, and remember the extra sugar.

I like 2l value apple, 1l red grape, cup of tea, citric and 900g sugar. Makes a cracking cheap rose.

Although I only use it when there is a glut of apples, I find apple juice is a great substitute for water in wine recipes. It has more body, some sugar, malic acid and a bit of colour too!

I accidentally made an apple wine :eek:

Was supposed to be TC, but I put 750g of sugar in too :doh: but never mind it's currently just at the end of its ferment and is beginning to clear, so I don't know what it tastes like yet apart from when I topped up which was mmmmmm.

Just apple juice and sugar really.

i did a cider/wine 11% a few weeks back with polish apple and mint juice come out ok but will see what its like in a few months

The second wow i made was an apple/WGJ version(one litre of each) i didn't use citric acid as i followed the wow guide, should i have added citric acid?

Chippy_Tea said:
The second wow i made was an apple/WGJ version(one litre of each) i didn't use citric acid as i followed the wow guide, should i have added citric acid?

did you like it? did you think more acid would have helped?
there's probably enough acid in those juices - the guide is good.

TBH being new to this i am not sure what adding the acid does to the finished flavour, i do like the taste but its a bit watery, maybe next time i will try 2 apple to 1 WGJ and see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back