All Grain Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegged

Reaction score
So I finally got around to investing in an All Grain brewing set-up. I have had some fantastic results!

If anyone out there is considering doing this take my advice. Go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Totally agree.

It can be a pain to dial in your system but when it's all sorted you can literally churn out brewery quality craft beer with ease.

K

One week tomorrow I plan to go this way too dunno how I am going to manage doing it more often once addiction kicks in and I have no time to kick the kids out of the way.

Overnight mash is "what it says on the tin"

Instead of mashing for 90 mins, you do it overnight. Ond advantage is you have less to do the next day and thus resulting in saving time (especially if you have a timer plug on your HLT/FV so your sparge water can start heating while you are asleep).

The only worry about overnight mash is making sure the temps doesn't drop too low as it will cause bad things to be extracted from the grains , i think the temp is 50c so as long as you insulate very well all should be fine .Most people mash at 66c but you could mash as low as 62c (this will make a thinner beer but higher %) and also as high as 72c (this will make a full bodied more malty beer) so i would mash in at 70c for an overnight mash and hopefully it will only drop to around 62/64c

cheers for the info - might give that a whirl. My man-cave is an asbestos garage so not the warmest but my mash tun is pretty good and I can always heap some old blankets on it. As for heating the sparge liquor, everything in my brewery is propane fired because I'm a farm yacker! Mind, it doesn't take too long to heat 5 gallons of liquor!

Wassail!
Phil

I start my overnight mashes at 68c and the lowest it's got is 55ish. Anyone whose seen my pics knows I brew in a bag with very unsophisticated ( two coats, a towel and a rucksack,) insulation so you cool box lads should be fine!

Back