All Grain Barley Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smells promising: butterscotch and a lot of booze. What I'm aiming for is what you get in the best barley wines though: that stewed fruit / rum 'n' raisin / toffee flavour which is smooth and viscous.

Cloudy sample is chilling and settling in the fridge, and I will guzzle it when it looks clear enough this evening.

All bottled into 250ml stubby bottles. A word of warning for anyone else planning to do this: they are very fragile and I cracked two while bottling....

I've calculated ABV to be 10.83%

This one needs three months minimum ageing, and I can see why. At the moment it is sweet and malty with what actually seems like quite a soft hop flavour and aroma despite the massive quantities. The booze is upfront though, and has a slight burning roughness to it. Typical of unripe beer, but obviously more noticeable here. The flavours need to develop and soften out.

I guess I'll report back at Christmas as to how they taste, assuming I don't end up comatose.

I made an 11% beer I called 'The Epidural'. It was very drinkable from about 6 months and best savored after the 1 year mark. My wife absolutely loved it :)

Just opened my first bottle of this last night, and honestly, it's pretty amazing. I wish it had been my recipe and not Mikkeller's!

It's typical of a good barley wine: caramel, toffee, butterscotch flavours, and it's almost as if it's slightly salty as its so rich. Hop aroma is still there, and it works well with the flavours.

So all them hops are not making a big impact? Drowned out by malt and alcohol?

More so the malt. I certainly wouldn't say it isn't hoppy as it is, but it has all that malt to battle with, plus the beer has to be aged before drinking. Hoping I can maybe hold onto some for twelve months at least.

Also, the head retention is very good which is surprising for the ABV. It's like a layer of cream. Much be the cara-Vienna which was added.

Back