AG brew/water volume question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you have to remember is that Dave brewed with the ingredients to hand, and while a grain bill of 3Kg for 23L might appear to be 'short' what are the other ingredients ;) also what was the OG that the beer was brewing to?

The water issue is a bit odd, as he only included water for Mashing . . .then you sparged to collect the preboil volume but that wasn't mentioned . . . although if you look at the instructions for brewing the AG Guinness it does cover it.

As a brewing book goes its not perfect, (but a damn site better than those that came before it) as a recipe book actually it's not bad, I've brewed several from it and they do come out pretty close.

joe1002 said:
Get yourself a copy of Graham Wheelers Brew your Own British Real Ale. The latest one (3rd edition) has recipes for both the Theakston's Best Bitter and Old Peculiar. For 25l they use 4.2kg & 6.6kg of grain respectively and 32l & 34l total liquor in total (again respectively) :thumb:

Hi, had to join in on this. I'm new to AG brewing and currenly have one under my belt having brewed a TT landlord clone from the GW book. I thought I followed the recipe bang on for 19L but ended up with 15L or so and couldn't work it out until now.

You advise the GW book for Theakston Best and OP calls for 32L and 34L which are the total mash liquor and Total Liquor. For my Landlord clone I had inturpreted it that i'd need a total of 26.9L of liquor, 8.8L of which would be for mashing. What i'd actually required was a total of 35.7L.

It makes sense now but I remember re-reading this in the book and I don;t think its clear. Got another planned over Christmas so glad I have got to the bottom of it!

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it useful to work through the volumes from start to finish and also finish to start so 23l into FV - dead space - hop absorption - boil off etc just as a double check if you are in the right range.

The other thing to remember is that everyone's kit varies, and therefore any volumes you read in a recipe are just there for a guideline, and as Anthony says working through the volumes from start to finish for your kit should be second nature

Superdiscobreakin said:
joe1002 said:
Get yourself a copy of Graham Wheelers Brew your Own British Real Ale. The latest one (3rd edition) has recipes for both the Theakston's Best Bitter and Old Peculiar. For 25l they use 4.2kg & 6.6kg of grain respectively and 32l & 34l total liquor in total (again respectively) :thumb:

Hi, had to join in on this. I'm new to AG brewing and currenly have one under my belt having brewed a TT landlord clone from the GW book. I thought I followed the recipe bang on for 19L but ended up with 15L or so and couldn't work it out until now.

You advise the GW book for Theakston Best and OP calls for 32L and 34L which are the total mash liquor and Total Liquor. For my Landlord clone I had inturpreted it that i'd need a total of 26.9L of liquor, 8.8L of which would be for mashing. What i'd actually required was a total of 35.7L.

It makes sense now but I remember re-reading this in the book and I don;t think its clear. Got another planned over Christmas so glad I have got to the bottom of it!

Cheers and Merry Christmas
You will need to taylor the volumes for your equipment, dead spaces, boil off etc. It takes a few brews to get it sorted :thumb:

Merry Christmas to you too :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aleman said:
As a brewing book goes its not perfect, (but a damn site better than those that came before it) as a recipe book actually it's not bad, I've brewed several from it and they do come out pretty close.

Never a truer word was spoken. I think it was the 5th brewing book I bought in the late 70s, an era when books were the only way to learn. The first beer I brewed from that book was such a big improvement from every thing that had gone before.

Latest posts

Back