AG#1 Pittsy's Hefeweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting the second batch going on Sunday and will be pouring the wort directly onto the first batches sediment. Any ideas to tweak the recipe,perhaps I cCould try fermenting at 22? Current batch fermented at 20.

Ive just set the brew fridge to 15c pittsy, as you recommended, before bottling in two days.

Do either of you get the bubblegum smell? Perhaps its just me.

I got the ingredients for alemans stout through yesterday, it will be AG3. Aiming to leave it until Christmas before I open a bottle :whistle:

Yep bubblegum , you could do 22c , you could also try adding 200/300g of carahell or something similar . Or you could swap the pilsner malt to vienna or munich

A bit late for me to get extra ingredients now, its either changing the temperature or hop addition times I think! Would it be worth trying to add the 15 min hops at end of boil instead? Or is this not recommended for a hefe?

pittsy said:
For a crisper hefe 18c for more bubblegum try 22c but no higher . I would just leave the hops as is more or less .

Cheers pittsy :thumb:

I will go 22c.. Why no higher? What kind of tastes would start developing? :whistle:

if you go higher the beer will feel thinner and taste stronger (%) and you risk hangover fuel and you may get some funky flavours coming through too . It will become a 2nd rate beer .

you have the same water as me , why are you adding gypsum ? My calcium is between 80 and 85ppm which is more than enough for a weiss

I am using asda smart price water as aleman suggested, with a tsp of gypsum in the mash and a tsp in the boil. He says its great for most brewing styles. So that's what I'm doing... :whistle:

Ah Good, thought you were going to tell me I'd have crappy beer :lol:

Well, I preheated the tun this time. Only managed to up the mash temp to 65.6 though. May have to consider putting the strike water temperature up a degree or two next time. Must Just be my equipment.

I will also not be throwing away wort this time round!!

Just finished sparging and now just draining the mashtun.

The temp was 63.5c in the tun after the 90 minutes.

I started sparging after the water dropped to the level of the grain bed - it took around 20 minutes for the water to reach that level, by this time the mash temperatures across the tun were ranging between 58'c-62'c. Then using strike water at 80c I managed to increase the temperature and maintain at between 63c-74c (at varying positions in the tun) after about 10 minutes.

What am I doing wrong here? My ideal temp is about 75c right? How can I reduce the temperature loss? Am I initially draining the tun too slowly when getting the water level to the top of the grain? Or is it simply because this recipe uses a 3.5:1 water to grain ratio rather than the typical 2.5:1?

Very confused :oops:

The time has come.... to try my first ever AG today.. :pray:

Bottle is crash chilling in the freezer.

Only a half pint Stella bottle. Just so I don't waste too much beer if its not ready.

Pittsy, what a fantastic pint!

vBJOWjn.jpg

Edit:... or, half a pint!

looks a good beer you got there mate :thumb: put a few in your house fridge for a couple of days it will be even better and smoother :D

yes , now they are nicely carbed cooling them will get that fizz nicely into the beer making smaller bubbles in the foam

No cellar temperature aging here then! I'll pop a few in the fridge (including your obligatory bottle pittsy ) and leave the others a couple of days just incase there is any carbonating left to do.

Beer delivery Saturday :thumb:

Just tasted this (still drinking it ) and it is lovely , tops marks to crE (Nick) just hope my brew on sunday turns out as good ;) :clap: :clap:

Latest posts

Back