AG#1 BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkin Escobar

Reaction score
After four kits I have now made the step up to all grain and living in a two bed flat have gone with the the BIAB method.

Thought I would keep it simple to start with, a very simple low gravity pale ale/bitter. Working with Beersmith 2 went with a 60 min mash and a 60 min boil.

10l batch

1700g Pale Malt
200g Light Crystal Malt

10g Challenger @ 60 min
10g Challenger @ 30 min

SG of 1.034 with approx efficiency of 75%

Looking to get down to 1.008 with should give me 3.4%

The trial jar sample I took to check on the gravity tastes much better than any of the kits ive done so far. Cant wait to bottle and start drinking this.

Good work that man!

That'll be a nice easy going beer to get you started.

BIAB's easy isn't it???

I've come to the conclusion that, although I'm still going to build the 3 vessel brewery, BIAB will still be my method of choice for standard beers purely on the grounds that it's pretty much foolproof. Big and/or complex beers will go to 3 vessel for the flexibility, efficiency, volume capability but for just simple session strength beer I can't see why I'd bother. I've proved I can pull a grain bag for 40l of 5.5% beer by hand - I can't see me going bigger on a single recipe...

Anyway, welcome to the darkside of the darkside. :thumb:

I agree the whole process was so easy and really clean which is what I was mainly surprised about.
Actually felt like I was brewing beer rather then mixing beer.

Pumpkin Escobar said:
Actually felt like I was brewing beer

Yup, it does. The control over the whole process gives a real feeling of satisfaction. Just you wait until you open a bottle!!! :lol:

The turning point for me was when I did a crazy kit-based Russian Imperial Stout which involved boiling up extract and hops, steeping grains, and whatnot... It started to feel like "creating" rather than "making".

Well done. I did my first AG last week, also BIAB. For standard gravity normal length brews I don't see why you'd want to use a mash tun and spend ages sparging. Can't wait to do my next one!

Nice brewday, I''m hoping to go all grain via the BIAB route sometime this year. Explaining it to the wife that kit brewing is like a microwave spaghetti Bolognese, extract is like using a jar of dolmio and adding mushrooms etc, while all grain is making it from scratch.

If you have issues with wife-approval, start the mash late at night, insulate it well, and do the rest the following morning.

That way the perceived amount of time spent doing it seems a lot less and you therefore get less grief... :thumb:

operon said:
Nice brewday, I''m hoping to go all grain via the BIAB route sometime this year. Explaining it to the wife that kit brewing is like a microwave spaghetti Bolognese, extract is like using a jar of dolmio and adding mushrooms etc, while all grain is making it from scratch.

This is exactly how I explained it to my other half :clap:

Seemed to work I got the go ahead to brew on the kitchen hob.

Herself is up for it, have a good few kits to get through money to save etc. Will probably do a couple of extract brews whilst I'm waiting on getting a shed etc.

man up , tell her you gonna brew beer and that's that , you wouldn't stop her going to gym class or going round her mates for a chat so where's the problem . (i hope mine don't look here lol)

I ordered a large stockpot (32l) and some voile for bags yesterday. I have everything else already. I'm quivering with excitement, but trying not to show it in public, those non brewers just wouldn't understand. AG#1 will be in a matter of days. I'll try to replicate an extract brew with a view to comparing. I have got into the habit of brewing 15l batches.

excellent mate ! when doing all grain it'll still take 6 ish hours if you do 10l or 40l so you'll soon do a full batch :D

pittsy said:
excellent mate ! when doing all grain it'll still take 6 ish hours if you do 10l or 40l so you'll soon do a full batch :D

Never a truer word!!

When it takes the best part of a day rather than an hour to lob a kit together you quickly realise that brewing the maximum quantity possible is a necessity...

But when you get to the top of a 70l pot you start to wonder...

jureje4e.jpg

jureje4e.jpg
[/quote]

i would consider a couple of steel beams running under that work top as your next brewery upgrade!

Back