Advice on Keggerator/Fermenter box please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have what some would say is a rather nice problem.

New kitchen has been fitted and I've persuded SWMBO to let me have an undercouter 'fridge all to myself.
After the re-fit, there is a 'spare' 'fridge-freezer.....upright thing, freezer bottom, normal 'fridge on top.

'Shall I just put this on free-cycle love, or do you think it's worth ebaying it?'
'For what it is worth, it might as well just stand in the corner of the conservatory for your brewing project' came the reply.

Knock me down with a feather :grin:

'Well, if you're sure.....I can put it to some use I reckon'...........hahaha

So guys, what should I do with it?
I was going to convert the under-counter fridge in to a corny cooler and controlled temperature fermenting 'fridge.....but, it is a brand new item and I'd rather not butcher it yet. Besides, it's doing a great job as a bottle 'fridge and yeast store.

Can I turn the 'fridge-freezer in to a temperature controlled cabinet?
I was thinking of cutting slats in the partition that seperates the freezer from the 'fridge so that I get double space being controlled of a single tc10.
Few questions if I may.....some of you know I'm a true numpty at this type of thing.

Does a standard 'fridge/freezer have two cooling systems....one for the 'fridge and one for the freezer?
If so, can I disconnect the 'fridge cooling and use the freezer cooling to chill both parts? (with the slats as abovementioned).
Is this the right use of the two 'fridges......would you do something different?

Suggestions and guidance welcome, thank you :cool:

A Standard cheapy fridge freezer has a single cooling system whereby the freezer is cooled to -18C, the fridge is cooled by blowing cold air from the freezer into the fridge . . . on a separate thermostat. . . . Often for this reason the freezer is marketed as Frost Free . . . it has to have a timer circuit to switch a heater on to stop teh water vapour from the fridge icing up the freezer.

So no you will not be able to have a dual height cooled component.

Another fly in you plans is that the coolant circuit in the freezer is often derived from the 'shelves' that separate the baskets . . .you can't remove the shelves so you can't get an FV in there. I have my eye on such a Fridge Freezer, and the plan that is forming is to use the freezer as my hop store, and the fridge as a Fermenting/lagering chest/yeast fridge . . . I will replace the fan thermostat with a TC-10 . . . I might rearrange airflow and fan as required to get adequate cooling in the fridge part

Aleman, thanks as ever for your post.

The freezer part has draws that can be removed, but the top one consisits of a flap......and that probably can't be removed.

I think I will use my tc10 to control the top part (the 'fridge) to act as a fermenter/lagering cabinet and use the freezer underneath to store hops......never thought of that :clap:

I'm probably going to order another tc10 for the 'corny store'.

ATB

Okay, all the parts are here for the conversion - tc10, 60W tube heater, wire, connectors, etc
I have decided to convert the 'fridge part in to a temp controlled fermenting space, leaving the freezer free for hops.

Aleman (or any other person knowledgable in such things), could you please explain to me how to find the thermostat and cooling circuit for the 'fridge :wha:

I understand the wiring on the tc10 (I think :grin: ) and I guess I need to link the cooling 'switch' of the tc10 to the refrigeration circuit and disconnect the thermostat of the 'fridge itself.

I plan to site the tube heater in the bottom of 'fridge space and will need to drill a suitable hole to take the cable.

If anyone can point me in the right direction and confirm my thinking that would be great :D

Aleman said:
Pictures are good ;)

Lets have one of the inside of the fridge

Thanks Aleman.
No probs, will sort one tonight.
It will give me a chance to also upload the 'Impromptu Imperial' pictures I took and show you all its bid for freedom :eek: :rofl:

Here you go.
:cheers:

fridge023.jpg

That looks like my fermenting fridge.
I just close the door on my cables,the rubber seals don't bother them at all.They neither crush them or suffer any temp. variation because of this. :thumb:

The fridge stat is hiding behind that bulge on the RHS . along withthe light. . . It should simply pull off . . . You then have the choice of wiring the TC-10 directly into that . . . or running teh feed directly down to the Compressor . . . My choice was to connect to the compressor directly from the TC-10 heating, and leave all the rest of the wiring as is.

At the back next to teh compressor is a box with all the wiring going into it . . . undo a couple of scres and you reveal a set of teminals. . . . Generally you are looking for the connections with a Black wire (Switched live from the thermostat) and Blue (neutral) to be teh connections to teh TC-10 Cooling.

That white metal plate at the back is where all the coolan pipes are . . . If you drill a hole behind the salad crisper in the compressor shelf you will miss anything important . . . and can feed your heater cable through that and back to the TC-10

Thanks Aleman.....that's blown my mind a little :lol:

Hopefully it will make more sense when I've time to have a proper look this weekend.

ATB

There is another option regards the TC10. You could take the cooling feeds from the TC10, to a socket (like using an extension lead) and plug the fridge into that. You won't be able to get below the fridges minimum thermostat setting this way, or use the interior light, but you may not want to anyway.
Worth a thought JIC you don't like electrics :grin:

I thought about going that way Vossy.....but wouldn't that render the freezer part useless and on a continuous cycle of freezing and defrosting?

ATB

I thought about going that way Vossy.....but wouldn't that render the freezer part useless and on a continuous cycle of freezing and defrosting?
Yes it would. I was skim reading your post before and thought it was a standard fridge, my apologies :oops: Aleman has it spot on :thumb:

I need to buy a 60W tube heater for my keggerator, where's the best place to buy??

Is it better to buy a 60w heater or use a light bulb??

John

I think I will go for the thermostat option....seems easier for me anyway.
Wouldn't wiring to the compressor affect the freezer operation??

I'll get in to the thermostat at the w/e....post a picture and go from there i think :whistle:

ATB

Finally got around to looking at the thermostat on the fridge part.
Here is the picture

To the left of the picture is the thermostat dial.

Could someone lead me from here please with the tc10 wiring :wha:
Thanks again :D

thermo001.jpg

Hi,
Your better off removing the fridge thermostat and wiring directly to the compressor. ;)

Take a pic of the compressor connections!

John

Latest posts

Back