Advice on first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have my second kit waiting to go in, i even have a second FV. I don't want to start in that yet though as it has a little bottler attached, so my plan was to transfer the current brew (once ready) into my second FV with the little bottler attached to make bottling easier. Is it ok to do this or is there risk of aerating the beer or something daft that i don't want to happen??

Then i will sterilise everything and start again. :D

simonlpearce said:
I already have my second kit waiting to go in, i even have a second FV. I don't want to start in that yet though as it has a little bottler attached, so my plan was to transfer the current brew (once ready) into my second FV with the little bottler attached to make bottling easier. Is it ok to do this or is there risk of aerating the beer or something daft that i don't want to happen??

Then i will sterilise everything and start again. :D

Yep that sounds good. When you siphon from your FV to your bottling bucket try to make sure there is no splashing. The little bottler will make bottling really easy for you. :thumb:

i had my eye on that kit you've just made, i love all czech beer, apart from bernard, mighta just been a bad pint, been there loads :)

let me know how it turns out! heard largers harder to brew, not sure if thats true tho??

ever tried kozel outa interest, dark or light? awesome.dark better but weatherspoons used to do light in bottles if it still does.

The reason I haven't done any lagers yet is you usually need good temperature control. The lager yeast works better at lower temps. I don't think it matters with the lager kits too much though. From what i've read, some of them come with ale yeast which you just ferment at the usual 18-21C.

I will of course report back on how it goes, although it may be a somewhat skewed review as its my first brew so even if it tastes half good i will be happy.

I cant comment on how hard or easy it is to brew as i dont have anything to compare to, but my instructions tell me i can ferment anywhere between 16 and 26 degrees, and mine has been happily between 18 and 22.

Cant say i have tried Kozel either, but will happily seek it out. I definitely need to increase my pallet in terms of beers drunk :cheers: Im more of a lager person than an Ale drinker though so would probably go for a lighter if given the choice of two.

A bit of residue is fine. I sanitise my bottles, then rinse and drain. When it comes to bottling them I pick the bottle up and give it a good shake to try and get as much water out as possible but i'm not usually that fussed.

Of course they will be rinsed and dried as much as possible, without physically sticking something inside the bottle.

I guess as beer is what 80/90% water anyway, a minute amount more isn't going to have a noticeable difference...

So after 10 days the airlock is still bubbling away, however i did notice that my temp has dropped to around 16 celsius. Is it ok to stick it in a warm bath to bring the temp back up and try and speed up the final stages, or should i just stop being so impatient and leave well alone?

FYI - I took a reading on Monday and it was at 1012, yesterday it seemed closer to 1011/1010 (hard to tell exactly as the hydrometer wouldn't sit straight).

take another reading Friday, if its the same...on you go.

So I can still bottle even if it's still bubbling away? It tasted ok mind so a fizzy cold version of what I have wouldn't dissapoint me.

Actually thinking about it, it should be fine as once its bottled it will only start bubbling away again anyway.

Once you have consistant readings for around 3 days it means that the yeast are no longer converting sugars into alcohols. When you move your FV you may notice that it starts to bubble again, this is just gasses being released from your brew because it has been disturbed. It doesn't mean that fermentation is still continuing.

The bubbles in an airlock are fun to watch and a good way to see that fermentation has started (when you first start a batch). However, the only way to accurately know when fermentation has finished is by using a hydrometer.

Read 1010 today so providing it's the same again tom it's going in the bottles!

Happy with the taste of the samples though :-)

Latest posts

Back