Advice on first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonlpearce

Reaction score
I am about to take the plunge and purchase a beer brewing starter kit which includes the following...
• 30 ltr Fermenting Bin
• Airlock
• Paddle
• Syphon Set
• Hydrometer
• LCD Thermometer
• Vwp 100g Sterliser
• Black Capper
• 100 Gold Crown Caps

I am going to brew a pilsner as this is my preferred tipple. Something like 'Brewery Classics Czech Pilsner'. One of my fav's is Pilsner Urquell so if i can find something even similar to this i would be happy.

I will be bottling it and have my eye on some bottles which will be sufficient for the brew amount. The kit comes with a capper and caps.

Is there anything else i will need such as 'Brewing Sugar' or 'Carbonation Drops'? Id rather get it all before i kick off with the brewing to find out later i am missing something important and ruin my first batch.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. :thumb:

I know it's been said many times before: sanitise properly and follow the instructions that come with your kit. That's how I started, before the Internet age, and I have never had a batch go wrong (touch wood). Apart from kits I now also do All Grain now with good results. For priming I would stick with normal household sugar. VWP is a good sanitizer - stick with it.

klaus said:
I know it's been said many times before: sanitise properly and follow the instructions that come with your kit. That's how I started, before the Internet age, and I have never had a batch go wrong (touch wood). Apart from kits I now also do All Grain now with good results. For priming I would stick with normal household sugar. VWP is a good sanitizer - stick with it.

Sorry im new to this...By priming this is the process of carbonating the beer for bottling, still learning the lingo! So i wont require anything other than what's in the pilsner kit during the brew process.

I will of course be sanitising religiously as EVERYTHING i have read so far stresses how important this is. And of course will follow the instructions to the letter.

Thanks for the advice.

So i have purchased the kit now from here...

the-home-brew-shop dot co dot uk

Lets hope it turns up soon so i can get myself a brew on ready for xmas. Typically what % can i expect to see from a pilsner brew?

It's what I've been doing for 20 odd kit brews and they have (bar one Burton Bridge Porter) all been pretty blooming drinkable...

...as demonstrated by the fact that I've got next to bugger all left ready for drinking!

Im thinking for my second brew i would like to get something along the lines of an Urthel Saissionnaire (sp). I grew to quite like this when over in Belgium recently.

Suppose i should concentrate on getting the first one right before thinking about the second though.

Hope to report back in 5 or so weeks time with a positive update! Although no doubt there will be some noob questions along the way...

simonlpearce said:
Suppose i should concentrate on getting the first one right before thinking about the second though.
No, no, no! :nono:

If you've just bought your first kit, you should have already decided on your second and be thinking of your third.

When you get more experienced (not me yet), apparently you think in chess terms; ie five brews ahead.

:cheers:

Couldn't agree more!

It's VERY important, especially in those early days when you have no back-stock, to have a clear plan of getting the most brews done possible...

In that case then i stand corrected, and will start researching my next batch already. Suppose i will have plenty of time to get one ordered since i can only brew one at a time, so will make sure the next one is here so i can brew back to back.

Thanks again for the advice :thumb:

If your going to be buying multiple kits, check to make sure you have enough kegs/bottles to store them all in before chuck everything in the fv or you will be in a mad dash trying to find botttles/kegs. Sounds really simple but I had a close one :oops:

Otherwise Good luck :cheers:

jodape said:
If your going to be buying multiple kits, check to make sure you have enough kegs/bottles to store them all in before chuck everything in the fv or you will be in a mad dash trying to find botttles/kegs. Sounds really simple but I had a close one :oops:

Yep i suppose thats a good idea. I have ordered 85 x 500ml clear bottles but from reading on here it looks like i might want to invest in some green/brown ones too.

Out of interest roughly how many bottles in you guy's experience does a typical batch fill?

simonlpearce said:
jodape said:

Yep i suppose thats a good idea. I have ordered 85 x 500ml clear bottles but from reading on here it looks like i might want to invest in some green/brown ones too.

Out of interest roughly how many bottles in you guy's experience does a typical batch fill?

Brown is best for beer. You'll have to keep those clear ones in the dark.

I tend to get between 42-44 x 500ml from a 23l kit brew.

Yes i saw something about skunking in regards to clear bottles so will look into getting some brown ones too. To be fair, i will probably drink my way through enough bottles whilst its brewing to have plenty spare. :drink:

Either way i should have enough bottles as is for around 2 brews at any one time.

My brew kit has already arrived today, after only ordering it at 2pm yesterday, that's what i call service!!

First batch is in fermenting. Need to get my second batch ordered so I can keep it brewing back to back.

The good news is that my local Wilkinsons sell everything needed to brew at reasonable prices, so I should never not have a brew on!

Ok so first brew has been in the FV for 8 days so i decided to take my first reading which was 1012. According to the kit instructions it should drop to 1008/1010, but according to the manufacturer instructions it should drop to around 1005.

Either way the airlock is still bubbling, all be it VERY slowly. Going to leave it in there for another week i think but continue to take daily readings. Again according the the manufacturers instructions it can drop by just 1 point a day towards the end of the fermentation which can be difficult to spot.

Its just so hard waiting though :)

imagehok.jpg

thats the ticket, just keep taking the readings every alternate day till they don't drop any more then move on to priming and bottling.
Then kit 2.

:D

Latest posts

Back