Advice needed priming Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackDR

Reaction score
So my first all grain brew has just finished fermenting, I have 24 litres of stout, tastes really good, planning to keg 19 litres of it and use a 70/30 nitrogen mix on that.

BUT I'll have about 5 litres left over, I've racked it off into another fermenter to filter out the ****, however afterwards I thought that as most of the yeast is left behind in the first fermenter, will there be enough yeast to prime the bottles? And if so what sort of sugar do people recommend? Was possibly thinking Treacle?

Also would it be best to prime the Stout in the keg with some sort of sugar? Or gas it with the Nitrogen mix?

Even after lagering a brew for 12 weeks there is still plenty of yeast ready to rock & roll if you give it some sugar to play with.

Some brews have a FG over the standard 1.010 and a Stout can be one of them.

If FG didn't move at all for three days I would consider fermentation complete. However, that would be after two weeks fermentation under ideal conditions for the yeast.

If you fermented the Stout for less than two weeks and/or the conditions have not been ideal, the brew may just be sticking and fermentation is not yet complete. If this is the case then I wouldn't advise bottling any of it just yet.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

PS

Check out the Calculators at the top of this page. There is one there for Priming Sugar.

Thanks a lot, cleared it up a bit, temperature has been around 20 degrees so think it's probably done, been fermenting about 3 weeks and gravity has stayed the same

Is 1014 a bit high for bottling stout? Maybe bottle with no priming sugar or very little and over time it will condition and carb up.

Is 1014 a bit high for bottling stout? Maybe bottle with no priming sugar or very little and over time it will condition and carb up.

I'd expect a Stout to finish around there given the quantity of speciality malts and the (usually) higher mash temp.

For priming I'd just use table sugar, the quantities involves impart virtually no flavours.

Latest posts

Back