Accidently put too much sugar in HELP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
The kit is a Woodforde Norfolk NOG

Previouse kits required a kilo of sugar. This one didn't. It apears to
be still fermenting but has slowed down and hydrometer is still at 26.
But yeast is working maybe it is slowing down. Can I add a wine yeast
to this even though it won't taste as good. But rarther that than
scrap the beer.

Desmond.

I don't know the specifics of that kit but adding more sugar than expected probably won't make for bad beer. 5 kilos? Maybe. But not one.

First, the beer yeast will chew through it just fine. I'm assuming this is not some 1.100 OG beer to start with. It will, however, dry the beer out a bit. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But sometimes it can give the impression of it being watery. My suggestion is to do nothing. Just let it all ferment out and then taste it in the FV before making any rash judgement call.

Good luck!

-baz

Ok. The only problem is that I did an SG test 24 hours ago and it was at the 1026 mark so hasent moved.

Bubbles are rising though. The beer does not say add any sugar which I thought was odd as all others
I have used require some sugar.

The kit says Aprox 4.5% ABV. Is it possible that a small kit (2 tins of concentrated malt extract) can have enough sugar on its own?

Also the instuctions say keep between 18c - 20c. This is dificult in my flat and can't get it under 21c. Has this affected the yeast maybe?

Sorry one other thing. Re: your 5K sugar info. there must be a top limit. 5 kilo would be to alcaholic for the yeast. What would a typicla beer yeast take. internet websites say 6% max.

With warmer temps yeast tend to take off violently rather than go dormant. So if anything, you'd reach your terminal gravity really quickly. When you get a stuck fermentation, it's often because the temps were too cold for the yeast and they dropped out. But at the temps you mentioned, that should not be a problem at all. It's strange that yours has stopped. Usually, we say "Warm it up and give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast." But your temp is in a very good range. If anything, the sugar should have helped it drop. Was the yeast not viable? The next step might be to pitch some rehydrated dry yeast and let it have a go. I wouldn't put wine or champagne yeast in at this point.

I have added at most, 2 US pounds of sugar to a 5 gallon batch. I would not worry about sugar causing to high of alcohol for the yeast. I'd worry about too much sugar completely changing the profile of the beer and it not tasting very good. Some people have said too much sugar can cause a cider-like flavor to the beer. I have not experienced that myself.

I have fermented beers with ale yeast to as high as ~12% alcohol. That was with a high gravity Belgian strain. Some strains cannot handle as high an abv but most should handle 9% to 10% fairly easily.

Hi thanks for your support. I used to brew years ago and stop for a long period of time. It was my opinion if you kept things clean and sterile it should be impossible for anything to go wrong. I was unhapy about the temperature range of 18 -20. This is to narrow evwn for a heater. I was told by the shop that there were no yeasts that would work above this ( knew this to be wrong). On line shopping got me ....

Safale s-04. ( a brand you might know) sutable for beer and a range of 15 -24. No idea of max strength. I have pitched it in so will wait and see.

Thanks again for your help.

Desmond.

S-04 is a great yeast and has performed well for me.

I try to keep my ales in the 15C - 21C range, usually in the middle of that. Belgian yeasts are my exception on the high end and hybrid yeasts like those for California Common or Altbier on the low end. I try to let most of my ales not get any higher than 20C.

I'm surprised they said yeast don't work about that range. They actually love it above that range. I just don't happen to like what they produce above that range! ;-)

-Baz

The Nog is a two can kit and as such needs no extra sugar adding to it
I have done a nog and it's quite a strong flavoured beer so may work out okay but I would be careful drinking it as it will turn out rather strong
I would just leave it another week and then try it :D

Hi thanks for that last post. I but 1k sugar in with it. I did not check the gravity as I asumed it was ok. Have been strugling to keep the temprature between 18 - 20c

I sarted this on the 9th and 9 days later it is close to 1.015. This is slow. Woulsd a stir of it make any difrence?

Any way to help it clear quicker as it looks like March before it will be drinkable.

TA

Desmond.

Latest posts

Back