ABV too high! When to Liquor Back

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
I realise that strictly speaking there is no such thing but the latest batch came out a lot higher that I had planned.

I discovered that instead of using the recipe grain measurements I used what I ordered which was about a kilo more! I have only just noticed as the fermentation has ended and wondered why I now have an ABV of 6.5 instead of the planned 5.2 so...

As the fermentation has finished can I liquor back to reduce the ABV or will this screw up the brew. For future info when is the best time to liquor back in the brew - I am assuming after the boil but anyone done it after the ferment, any issues. Kegging it and carbonating with CO2 by the way.

This was supposed to be a sessionable brew but will now have to be careful :rolleyes:

I've done it a couple of times at the end of fermentation (using some bottled spring water). Didn't notice any issues but I guess you could overdo it & end up with something tasting thin (albeit with the desired ABV).

Latest posts

Back