About to brew my first. Questions!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purital

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am about to brew my first batch (Woodforde's Nelsons Revenge in case you're interested).

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly - Does the fermentation bin have to use an airlock? I purchased a fermenting vessel from Wilkinsons, it's 5 gallon and has no airlock at all.

Secondly (and likely linked to the first) - Is an airlock used for a primary indication that fermentation has finished, so you're not introducing infection to the beer by opening the lid?

Thanks in advance and my sincere apologies for probably repeating the age-old questions. (I did use the search function, but 'airlock' is quite vague without context).

Shaun. :drink:

Purital said:
Hi everyone!

I am about to brew my first batch (Woodforde's Nelsons Revenge in case you're interested).

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly - Does the fermentation bin have to use an airlock? I purchased a fermenting vessel from Wilkinsons, it's 5 gallon and has no airlock at all.

Nope, so long as it's pretty much sealed and gas can escape you'll probably be fine.

Purital said:
Secondly (and likely linked to the first) - Is an airlock used for a primary indication that fermentation has finished, so you're not introducing infection to the beer by opening the lid?

Not really, the airlock is there to make an exit-only environment for your yeast to do its work.

It will give you a clue of course that things are progressing but it can be a very false indicator. As gas production slows it can become easier for the gas to filter through tiny gaps twixt bucket and lid rather than push the water round the u-bend.

My best beers have been brewed by mixing, pitching yeast, locking it up and just leaving completely alone it for 14 days and expecting to bottle at that point (pending good gravity readings of course!).

Difficult trick to pull on your first one though! Curiosity WILL get the better of you.

Have you read the "OMG" how to?

Purital said:

Nope, I just put the lid on loosely and cover the airlock hole with a tea towel to stop any critters who decide to taste my beer!

Purital said:

Airlocks are not needed in brewing beer IMO, technically you could put it on near the end of the fermentation to protect the beer but IMO it's a waste of time

Hope this helps :thumb:

Welcome to the forum.

No you do not need an air lock for the fermenting bin when beer making. Very few bins have a truly air tight fitting lid. Co2 will still escape.
However in its initial vigorous ferment just leave one edge of the lid loose and not clipped down, when its subsided a little, close it fully
As said above the lids are not air tight so you can't use an air lock to indicate when fermentation has finished, most probably no Co2 will go through it and will take the easy way out through the sides. Best way is to learn how to use a hydrometer, take a reading of the wort (mix ) before yeast added and later on take several more, when the readings are stable fermentation has finished. If you aint got one though give it 10 days-12 days in the vessel and unless the ferment sticks you should be ok.

paulpj26 said:
Airlocks are not needed in brewing beer IMO, technically you could put it on near the end of the fermentation to protect the beer but IMO it's a waste of time

Not needed, but an exit-only sealed system is technically better than one which could in theory see gas flow IN to the vessel. How much better is of course a matter of some considerable debate.

Whether a waste of time is an altogether different question, the time taken to fill and fit an airlock is seconds so even if it is a waste, you're not wasting much. If it is actually a waste would require the exit-only system be only minutely better than the exit-mostly system without.

yeah, I agree calum. I too keep mine under airlock so I can relax for a few days after fermentation leaving bottling/kegging to the weekend when it's often fermented out in 3 days, brewed on sunday...

but it's totally not essential. like everybody says, a loose lid will do fine providing you bottle or keg it soon after fermentation :cheers:

I agree if you aren't bottling or kegging for a while then an airlock would help but I tend to bottle as soon as the beer is ready so it's not really an issue for me :thumb:

calumscott said:
Have you read the "OMG" how to?

No. where would I find this?

Thanks for all the other answers too. Very helpful!

Edit: And during the first post and now. My equipment has arrived! Hoorah!

I drilled a hole in the lid of my Youngs bucket and fitted a rubber grommet to allow me to use an airlock. It was quite interesting recently - my wife did a Strawberry cider kit in my FB which sits under my desk in the office when fermenting. Every so often I would get a lovely strawberry smell coming out from under where I was working so I didn't need to check whether that was fermenting OK or not :thumb:
Graham

The hole is handy if brewing a high graxity beer or a stout as you can use it for a blow off tube to stop the lid popping off.

Latest posts

Back