A good idea gone wrong ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
Hi I am in the final stage of making a red wine. I needed to add the finings and mix in well BUT.
Recipie calls for getting a glass of warm water and mixing in the Potassium Sorbate. I thought as I needed to add the finings as well I could simply add the finings to the water mix in and throw the lot in. The problem is that as the water is warm the finings turned white. Have I screwed up here and destroyed the finings. This has been added to the wine. Please help.

Desmond.

No idea, someone else mentioned about pre-dissolving sorbate but I've never done that nor seen any instruction to do that, mine just gets sprinkled into the jar and dissolves almost instantly.

What finings did you use?

I would think it's unlikely that you've done any harm, pop it somewhere cool for a week or two and see how it goes.

Hi it is not the sorbite that is the problem. I added Chitosan/Chitine finnings to warm water and it turned into a white. Lokked a bit like adding milk. Has it solidified and no longer any good?

I think chitosan (chitin) may undergo gelation if heated, but don't know whether that affects it's fining qualities, but I suspect it would inhibit dispersion through the wine, and could be responsible for that 'whitening'

with both the california connoisseur and belvino wine kit it advised to rack to a secondary fermenter, add potassium sorbate in a little water then you have to give it a good stir into the wine, then stir it a few times over the next 2 days to get all of the co2 out, i think if you have added the p.sorb and finings altogether then it may not clear as there is still co2 in the wine.
i only bottled my belvino wine kit tonight, 20 bottles of crystal clear white wine, my mum likes it aswell so far, hopefully it improves in the next month or 2 in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back