A biking 'oopsie'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigYin

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got a Scotoiler fitted to my ZZR1100 - if that doesn't mean anything to you, you probably don't need to read any further :lol: - anyway, discovered today that a loop in the oil feed tube had been getting rubbed by the tyre to the extent it had worn through the tube, and now instead of delivering the oil to the chain, it was dumping it onto the edge of the tyre :evil:

So the tube had to be replaced, which is a fiddly job, re-routing it through the bodywork of the bike. Still, it was a nice sunny day, if a little cold, and the job is now done :cool:

yep, when they don't work right it's a right PITA, but when they're working, you hardly notice, yet the chain stays lubricated, almost zero chain fling, and you hardly ever have to tighten the chain - awesome!!

Aye, seen a couple near disasters with Scotoilers. Took mine off as soon as I got my bike.
Glad you noticed and got it sorted.

PuggledPrune said:
Took mine off as soon as I got my bike.

I was the opposite :lol: Fitted one as soon as I got my bike :lol:

I am a big fan of them, but I know lots of bikers who hate them - horses for courses I guess!

Main advantage for me is financial - keeping the chain constantly lubricated reduces the wear on the chain and sprockets, and with chains for my bike costing upwards of £100, making sure it lasts, and lasts, is no bad thing!!

Aye I get why they are good. I've just never managed to get them set properly. On or off is about as good as I've got and on usually ends up with everything covered in the lube.

My old man has one on his xjr and it seems to be spot on

I've got an Acumen electronic one that takes the speed reading and lubricates depending on miles done rather than on the vacum system that most scott oilers work on, have never looked back since fitting it, can really recommend it as an alternative to the scottoiler system

because i ride all year round i can up the amount thats going on in the winter over the summer by a simple button press on my dash :thumb:

even if the refil cartridges do work out a bit pricey its a great system

Good job you noticed it when you did, the rear tyre is the last place you want or need oil to be dumped... :twisted:
I don't have this problem...I'm shaft drive...smooooooth.. :tongue:

That could have been ouch for sure!

I've never liked them myself, like other have said it was all or nothing when I had one on an old bike. I now prefer to 3D40 my chain after each ride, has kept my Bandit 12's chain good for 18,000km so far :thumb:

Back