2nd Ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Wilson

Reaction score
Hi Guys new to this so any tips would be most helpful, my home brew IPA has just finished 1st fermentation we will be putting it into a corny keg, can this be done without adding sugar and how long should we leave it before pressuring it....many thanks.

Assuming you are going to carbonate with CO2 then no need to add sugar. Are you planning to serve it right away or age it a bit? If I'm aging in a keg, I purge all of the air out and then just let it sit disconnected from the gas but under pressure. If I'm serving right away, then I will carbonate it at 30psi for about 30 hours and then put it into the kegerator.

Baz

Do you shake the Corny when you 1st fill it?
Set and forget is the best option, hook it up at your normal serving pressure and leave it for two weeks. If you’re impatient, give it 12 hrs at 40psi then drop to serving pressure. I’ve tried the force carb option a couple of times and ended up with disappointing flat beer.

Set and forget is the best option, hook it up at your normal serving pressure and leave it for two weeks. If you’re impatient, give it 12 hrs at 40psi then drop to serving pressure. I’ve tried the force carb option a couple of times and ended up with disappointing flat beer.
What pressure would you suggest for a low volume CO2 like 1.6 or similar for a bitter with set and forget?

What pressure would you suggest for a low volume CO2 like 1.6 or similar for a bitter with set and forget?
There’s loads of pressure/temperature charts online Random example from google. Off the top of my head, 12psi and 5C would work for me, but I’m dispensing through a tower and 1.5 meters of 5/16” beer line. If you’ve got a party tap it’ll depend on the length and caliber of the line to the tap.

There’s loads of pressure/temperature charts online Random example from google. Off the top of my head, 12psi and 5C would work for me, but I’m dispensing through a tower and 1.5 meters of 5/16” beer line. If you’ve got a party tap it’ll depend on the length and caliber of the line to the tap.
Cheers, remembered after I posted that I have one of those charts.

Latest posts

Back