15 Meter Run for Caskline

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamsAleHouse

Reaction score
Is there any major technical problems with using a 15 meter beer line run for a cask system with a beer engine?

Apart from the wastage when you clean the lines, you might find that it's too long a pull. (although I know of longer runs that have no problem). In that case, you'd want a flojet pump to help things along.

What diameter lines?

Now, how does a flojet work? How is it activated? I know it's co2 powered, but does it activate when the beer engine lever is pulled?

You'll need a check valve in line with it as well. The FloJet stops when the pressure in the line is high enough (Exceeds or equals CO2 pressure set on regulator). The check valve stops beer flowing to the Hand pump when the pump is in the upright position.

What Aleman said.

They're not necessarily CO2 powered, that's just a waste of gas. Usually run by an air compressor.

Thanks for the response. I respect that using a gas to push the ale is undesirable. I just want to keep a consistent product from firkin to tap at 15-16m.

-Liam

LiamsAleHouse said:
Thanks for the response. I respect that using a gas to push the ale is undesirable. I just want to keep a consistent product from firkin to tap at 15-16m.
-Liam

The gas doesn't touch the beer, it merely runs the pump so it's still "Real Ale" as per the CAMRA definition.

two reasons for using a electric or air/co2 powered Flojet on a long run with cask ale.

1) The line resistance (even if using 1/2" ID) is so great that high pressures would have to be used to 'push' the beer along to the tap . . . resulting in over carbonation and fobbing. . . .Using a pump to push the beer along the line means that you can use a normal, low,amount of top pressure or even 'real ale'.

2)Using a hand pump on a long line with outsome sort of pump will generate a vacuum in the line (Caused by line resistance) which will cause gas breakout in the lines . . . leading to fobbage.

The pump overcomes the line resistance resulting in consisant beer delivery.

Bear in mind though (as I said earlier) you will need a check valve in the beer line (around 12 inches from the hand pump, not at the cellar end)

Latest posts

Back