Pressure transfer mystery!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve just had a similar experience with a keg in my kegerator. First off the beer line to the tap came off the shank disconnect and I lost several litres. Then connected back up nothing would come out of the tap.Did all the things suggested above ie. Changing disconnects and blowing CO2 through the pipe still nothing eventually I sucked on the pipe and a minute amount of hop debris came out and it ran clear and all appears OK.
It sounds to me like the OP may have debris in the filter /dip tube that is being partially blown out by the burst of CO2 but being sucked back up causing the blockage when trying to perform the transfer.
This might be the most likely cause but I fear I will never know. Last night with the thousandth attempt I finally got a flow!
Big thanks to all you contributors out there. I am left with some doubt about the floating ball and filter set up - and looking at the Flotit 2 which gets closer to the trub bed anyway. I may post this idea and see if others have tried the Flotit with a FV and not just a keg, its main design purpose.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party but I did have a problem some time ago.
I soon realised it was because I'd used a marble has a weight inside the filter which manage to block the hole and stop the flow, I swapped it out for a stainless steel screw no more problems.
Funny you say that. I was also using a marble which I think was part of the problem. Though at the start of the problem there was no marble and I was trying to fix the no flow issue and the filter partially sticking above the surface. I’ve come to mistrust the inefficient filter mechanism and I’m seeking other approaches, eg. Flotit 2, though expensive.

I have experimented with nuts washers and marbles as a weight inside of the filter cage as well as a SS nut threaded on to the dip tube sitting on top of the cage.
Through trial and error I have found that by fitting the float on the bottom loop of the filter cage it seems to work without any added weight
Might be worth a go before shelling out on a more expensive option

I have experimented with nuts washers and marbles as a weight inside of the filter cage as well as a SS nut threaded on to the dip tube sitting on top of the cage.
Through trial and error I have found that by fitting the float on the bottom loop of the filter cage it seems to work without any added weight
Might be worth a go before shelling out on a more expensive option
Really helpful, thanks. I had been wondering which loop to use.

Latest posts

Back