Picture or Video of the day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1715232938595.png

Auroras from last night at Glasgow. I subscribe to the spaceweather.com alert system and I was getting loads of pings on the drive up saying a storm was building. Went outside around midnight and waited. It was like a crack opened up in the sky just South of us.
CB9A94E8-4ADC-4E8E-9991-87E4BAC9CAF0.jpeg
2BC7F1EA-660C-41ED-80C7-54A3C631EB63.jpeg
3B04A18B-8AD9-4AA7-8EBD-86BED3541348.jpeg

ashock1

A "vile" anonymous letter expressing the hope a local charity shop would close down has prompted global support after it was shared online.

1715527374185.png

Kreate, a homeware store in Sheffield, was set up to provide work experience for adults with learning difficulties.
But a letter willing the shop to fail has had the opposite effect, after it was posted on Facebook by shop manager Ruth Denton - and went viral.
"We've had lots of people saying that they're going to visit now," she said.
The error-strewn letter, posted to the store on Saturday and claiming to be from local people in the neighbourhood, stated the shop was not welcome in the area.
"We try not to encourage charity shops round the area or shops selling Blackpool style trinkets," stated the letter addressed to "the owner".
"A lot of buisnesses [sic] needed by comunitys [sic] have failed and I hope yours does too.
"another grey painted trendy Tak [sic], soon be countdown for you. Shutters will be permantley [sic] down" stated the anonymous missive.
The letter was signed off "Residents Unite (Bocking Lane)".

'Ironic'​

After a photo of the letter was posted on Facebook by Ms Denton, it was shared hundreds of times - prompting support from as far afield as the US.
One person described the letter as "vile"; another said it was "ironic that their ridiculous note has given you amazing publicity and awareness".
"I was upset because we've poured our hearts and souls into this, and we're not just a home and giftware store, we're more than that," Ms Denton said.
Part of the charity Work Ltd, Kreate - in Hutcliffe Wood Road in Beauchief, offers supported retail experience for people with learning difficulties, teaching them how to carry out jobs such as using a till, stocking shelves and packaging sold items.
The store began trading in November, with students set to begin training later this month.
Ms Denton said the letter left her feeling "shocked" and "disheartened", but described the response to her post on social media as "absolutely unbelievable".
"We've had so much positivity," she said.
"I've had messages from people asking if they can buy online so they can support us - they're living in the USA! It's absolutely unbelievable."
Ms Denton hopes the unpleasant episode will encourage people who saw the letter online to make good on their stated intention to visit the shop.
"It will make such a difference to us," she said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-68968619?at_format=link&at_bbc_team=editorial

Says it all. Beauchief - golf courses, big houses, big cars & fat wallets.
Unfortunately that says it all.
You would have thought that sort of community would be well placed to help such endeavours, but in reality it's often the not so rich that help those less well off, as one day they may need help too.

Latest posts

Back