Is this fake yeast??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As above, the most likely explanation is they've split a 500g bag of Nottingham into 11g sachets. Wouldn't bother me massively, although there is a bit of a risk of contamination and really it should be stored cold as it's already been opened from the manufacturer, but not a huge issue if used fairly soon. I've bought packs from CML and presumably they do something similar

Tbh It bothers me.
Contamination aside (and it could have anything in it)

I am not spending my time and money to produce an all grain wort, to the best of my ability only to tip random unknown ***** in it.

Tbh this is not a isolated case IME. I have seen it in the UK.

CML tell you that's what they are doing. It's a just pity they don't ship to Oz 👍🏼😁

Ok so here’s the update. I think this guy is genuine after messaging him. Here’s the conversation below.
Either way I’m brewing a ginger ale tomorrow so I guess I’ll soon find out if it’s duff!😂 but as I said I don’t think there’s any reason for me to worry.

Attachments

• IMG_7868.png
    IMG_7868.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7869.png
    IMG_7869.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7875.png
    IMG_7875.png
    89 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7870.png
    IMG_7870.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7872.png
    IMG_7872.png
    160 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7873.png
    IMG_7873.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7874.png
    IMG_7874.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 0
Some time ago I bought of the Web some yeasts branded Nottingham ale yeast.
Was in a suspect packet white with name printed on. I got 3 11g packs.
The first one I used failed. I contacted lallemand uk . They asked if I would send the rest to them. I received back 2 packs by return free. And a reply that they won't tolerate fake branding of their products . It was handed to their league team.

Well I needn’t have worried, I pitched 2 packs of this yeast into 29litres of ginger ale yesterday at about 4pm and it’s going like absolute stink right now! Glad I done a blow off!
I am in the camp (if that word is acceptable) don't use repackaged yeast! Contamination would be the biggest concern. The manufacturers go to great lengths to keep out any wild yeast and accept a small proportion. How hygienic is the repackaging? As for Mangrove Jack they are big enough concern to get the yeast manufacturers to package their yeast.
Just because fermentation goes well doesn't prove that it was due to the yeast described.

Same. Although I'd be less concerned about wild yeast, more of cross contamination of the pof+ and diastatic strains. I think MJ have significant investment into the similar package protocols as the manufacturers, just on a smaller scale. Others I'm considerably less confident about. Although I exclusively use Lallemand and Fermentis these days.

Wow, guys seriously you could try and think of this the other way aswel. I mean I contacted the eBay seller, he seems very legit- if you read through the email and pictures I attached you may get where I’m coming from. He also sells allot of Malts and other home brewing goods too. Now I’ve done a bit of digging I’m not too concerned. Like I said earlier it’s bubbling away like the clappers now. Sure, maybe it will turn out awful for some reason but I like to think that if he really was selling a bad product he would have ceased business a while ago.
This forum needs more positivity.

I don't doubt he's a genuine, honest seller with the best of intentions. I just doubt he's packing under the same conditions as the initial manufacturers. The minimal saving in price from this guy, CML et al, isn't worth the loss of quality assurance, for me.

I don't think it's negativity, more concerns over sanitation practices.

Also you posed the question about its authenticity.
Yup I did originally and then updated with photos and emails and then got a string of people saying how bad it was.
Sometimes in this hobby I feel like people can be so cautious to the stage where every brew is covered in undiluted paranoia, 2 weeks of worrying if we’ve wasted our money and time. It’s a real killjoy. I was lucky enough to do a brewday in a proper microbrewery local to me in carnforth and I was totally taken aback by the relaxed approach to brewing, yeast was weighed out into a bowl, the yeast weighed out was too much so it was spooned back into the pack. My point here is it wasn’t done in a special lab, it was done in a pretty messy (if I’m being honest) brewery and this didn’t affect the beer at all.
This brewery brews beer every day and they dont get bad batches. They can’t afford to.
I feel like allot of people on here have all the theory and what ifs but in reality you would have to be extremely unlucky to get a bad batch.

I feel like allot of people on here have all the theory and what ifs but in reality you would have to be extremely unlucky to get a bad batch.
Perhaps they don't think in terms of good and bad, rather in terms of good and excellent. The accumulation of attention to detail and small improvements. Your local micro might be a good brewer, but that laissez-faire attitude maybe stopping them being a great brewer.

I was lucky enough to do a brewday in a proper microbrewery local to me in carnforth and I was totally taken aback by the relaxed approach to brewing

Wup wup a convert. I may have mentioned before 😂 that I think we spend to much time with numbers and being bleach queens.

3 cheers for '"enjoy yourself" hip hip

Back