Hop Bongs - Are they worth it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure it would work well with a grainfather conical due to the very small aperture, easy for hop pellets to become blocked. But generally they are a useful thing and make O2 free dry hopping, especially if you're pressure fermenting, nice and easy.
Definitely see your point, been trying to get the longer valve for inside, kegged the other day and had to give the tap a little blast of co2 to get things moving, wasn't ideal giving I was trying to get it done during my lunch break.

Ultimately you don't need to drop all your hops in one go...you can split it up into two or three doses. That might reduce the chance of blockage. Also maybe use a ball valve if you can get one large (and cheap) enough. At least you wont have the butterfly valve in the way that might cause a blockage.

I prefer to keep the hops on once I've dry hopped, probably to my own detriment, have to admit find the whole dumping process a pain in the backside, imagine it'd be alot easier if the fermenter was elevated, but don't have the space.

Yep iv'e never found 'biotransformation' nirvarna and the latest research says that for hazy styles at least you're best to dry hop after fermentation has finished so I'll dry hop a few days before cold crashing then let everything compact though cold crash before dumping trub and hops.

But I was suggesting you drop the hops in in a number of goes to prevent blockages in the narrow grainfather port so split your dry hop into batches. Not suggested you dump in between every dose.

Realistically BKT also will have customer service/warranty, so know what the sensible option is really.

I was also looking at 1.5" to 2" converters, purely as the actual bong is bigger on the 2" Fermzilla one (the 1.5" seems to be a max of 80-100g hop pellets and I'm lazy).

Could edit, but have gone for another message 😂 won £150 on a free bet on the Liverpool game, so stopped fannying about, bought the above, plus a Grainfather Graincoat from Brew2bottle.

Tried it for the first time yesterday, my brewing gear is in a Keter store it out, makes my grainfather conical too tall for it 😭 my guestimate was clearly way off

How much taller is the all rounder with the hop bong on top? I am thinking of getting one but worried it won't fit in my lader fridge
This a a 6ft larder fridge that was a specific purchase to fit it in!. It’s also the first time ive used the fermzilla or done any kind of pressure fermenting or kegging.

I did manage to find a webpage with all the dimensions on but can’t anymore, I can measure it if you would like, I’ll be out there watching it a lot I suspect as it only went on on Saturday.

If anyone with more experience can spot anything wrong with how I have it set up, please let me know. It was pressure tested and sanitiser run through it to a keg so, it all works (I think)

Attachments

• 2CD9F621-4DE1-42F9-84DA-4EBF5E804246.jpeg
    2CD9F621-4DE1-42F9-84DA-4EBF5E804246.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
Back