Hop Bongs - Are they worth it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprocker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a Hop Bong to close the final loop in my closed circuit.
Currently I ferment in an All Rounder on which I have the Tri-Clover cap. I don't try to ferment under higher pressure than maybe 2psi on the spunding valve as I don't need to hurry things along.
At the moment I just de-pressurise, open the small screw cap on top of the Tri-Clover, pour in the hops via a funnel, screw the cap on, add a little CO2, purge, repeat, and let it get on with fermenting for a few more days.
Would a Hop Bong make that much difference to my current method?

Am I the only one who don't know what a hop bong is
No you're not. And as for an all rounder with a tri-clover cap. I took it for a psis-take. It's not even St. Patrick's day! FFS.
1675804150200.png

Priced it up on AliExpress and I can get one for my grainfather conical for £56, can't bring myself to do it however.

Not necessarily, trying to not spend too much on equipment of late, knowing I'll have to probably wait a month for it to arrive also dulls my excitement, clearly I'm a massive child and need that dopamine hit immediately.

Not necessarily, trying to not spend too much on equipment of late, knowing I'll have to probably wait a month for it to arrive also dulls my excitement, clearly I'm a massive child and need that dopamine hit immediately.
I'm lucky (or us it unlucky) enough to work around the corner from BKT so can walk round at lunchtime with cash......
Johnny's prices are very competitive so I don't have the hassle of long delivery times, and he's a nice bloke that knows his stuff 👍

I'm lucky (or us it unlucky) enough to work around the corner from BKT so can walk round at lunchtime with cash......
Johnny's prices are very competitive so I don't have the hassle of long delivery times, and he's a nice bloke that knows his stuff 👍

Always been very impressed with their service, as well as the range of products they carry.

Yep Jonny is a star, always very swift to respond to the daft questions I ask.

Hopefully there will be a discount code soon and I'll have a splurge 😂

I have been looking on Ali, and its not actually much cheaper on there by the time you add postage. :mad:
Largely depends, just checked again and it looks like they've possibly jacked the prices up a bit, but it was £55 Vs BKT £93, imagine you may be able to squeeze 2 for £100 on AliExpress

Priced it up on AliExpress and I can get one for my grainfather conical for £56, can't bring myself to do it however.
Not sure it would work well with a grainfather conical due to the very small aperture, easy for hop pellets to become blocked. But generally they are a useful thing and make O2 free dry hopping, especially if you're pressure fermenting, nice and easy.

Back