Does the winter warmer exist?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennine

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a winter warmer recipe but cannot find much on the webz other than spiced American interpretations. I remeber drinking a few on cask and they seemed to be maybe a strong mild to me at the time.

Any recipe ideas out there?

Last edited:
I’ve just brewed this it’s a bit too early to tell what it’ll be like, I think there is too much honey in it for me, hopefully it’ll mellow, I did add a bit of cinnamon and orange peel.

image.jpg

I have been looking for a winter warmer recipe but cannot find much on the webz other than spiced American interpretations. I remeber drinking a few on cask and they seemed to be maybe a strong mild to me at the time.

Any recipe ideas out there?

Unsure of whether you are after just the vague idea of a "winter warmer" beer or if winter warmer is actually a specific beer style that exists and needs spices etc. If its the former and you just want a beer that suits this time of year, @DocAnna gave me a couple of bottles of her winter wassail last year and it was superb.

Unsure of whether you are after just the vague idea of a "winter warmer" beer or if winter warmer is actually a specific beer style that exists and needs spices etc. If its the former and you just want a beer that suits this time of year, @DocAnna gave me a couple of bottles of her winter wassail last year and it was superb.
I don't like spice in beer and the few versions I had in the UK were not spiced. They were malty and higher in alcohol. I cannot find any info about them online though? And I am not the only one?

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/07/winter-warmer.html?m=1
Are they more of a recent style?

This was one of my favorite holiday beers when I lived over there, maybe I should go that route?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9534/31249/

Last edited:
I don't like spice in beer and the few versions I had in the UK were not spiced. They were malty and higher in alcohol. I cannot find any info about them online though? And I am not yeah only one?

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/07/winter-warmer.html?m=1
Are they more of a recent style?

This was one of my favorite holiday beers when I lived over there, maybe I should go that route?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9534/31249/
If you dont like spices, I reckon Annas beer would nail your malty and higher in alcohol remit. It was one of the highest quality homebrews iv ever tasted, and perfect winter night time, "by the fire" type beer.

Youngs Winter Warmer is the one that springs to mind.

Their (contradictory in parts) description is:

Winter Warmer is the definitive winter beer and is a long-time Young’s favourite. A previous champion cask beer and Gold Medal Winner at the Brewing Industry International Awards, Winter Warmer is an essential beer during the winter months.

Winter Warmer is 100% malt brew, with Maris Otter and Crystal malt combining Fuggle and Golding hops. Young’s unique cane sugar mix is added to the copper during the brewing process.

A welcome sight on the bar during the winter months, Winter Warmer is the ideal beer to cosy up with in front of a pub fire on a cold winter’s night.

A recipe is on Jim's:

Real Ale Almanac YOUNGS WINTER WARMER 5 Gallon batch OG 1055 5% ABV

MARIS OTTER PALE MALT 3628 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 333 gms
ENZYMIC MALT 140 gms
DARK SUGAR 953 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes 30 EBU
FUGGLES 59 gms
Add 20 gms GOLDINGS last 15 minutes

Yeast of your choice.

If you dont like spices, I reckon Annas beer would nail your malty and higher in alcohol remit. It was one of the highest quality homebrews iv ever tasted, and perfect winter night time, "by the fire" type beer.
I will definelty check it out!

Youngs Winter Warmer is the one that springs to mind.

Their (contradictory in parts) description is:

Winter Warmer is the definitive winter beer and is a long-time Young’s favourite. A previous champion cask beer and Gold Medal Winner at the Brewing Industry International Awards, Winter Warmer is an essential beer during the winter months.

Winter Warmer is 100% malt brew, with Maris Otter and Crystal malt combining Fuggle and Golding hops. Young’s unique cane sugar mix is added to the copper during the brewing process.

A welcome sight on the bar during the winter months, Winter Warmer is the ideal beer to cosy up with in front of a pub fire on a cold winter’s night.

A recipe is on Jim's:

Real Ale Almanac YOUNGS WINTER WARMER 5 Gallon batch OG 1055 5% ABV

MARIS OTTER PALE MALT 3628 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 333 gms
ENZYMIC MALT 140 gms
DARK SUGAR 953 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes 30 EBU
FUGGLES 59 gms
Add 20 gms GOLDINGS last 15 minutes

Yeast of your choice.
Seems simple and what I was thinking it would be. Thanks for posting this up.

Alright I think I have enough to build on with some tweaks.
Pale ale malt
Dark crystal
Medium crystal
Touch of roasted malt
Brown sugar, or not, probably will leave out.
30 IBUs or so.

A couple of tweaks I might make.

Use verdant IPA yeast for the apricot and vanilla flavour.

Use up some of this azaaca I have for some spicy fruitiness.

Ok arriving a bit late to this. Yes a winter warmer does exist and I agree with @Brewnaldo that the flavour should come from the grain rather than spicing. I've made a winter Wassail twice and you've prompted me to try again, two different recipes with merit to them both. One of the joys of a beer like this is that it improves with age, with the flavours mellowing and a rounded more warming whole. I'm going to try again this year with Marris otter in place of Pop's Pale ale malt and see if I can find the red crystal which I couldn't last year.

Short version, yes of course the winter warmer exists, it needs a relatively high alcohol, with dried fruit flavours and a wee bit of chocolate there - we're looking for a Christmas Pud of a beer!

Anna

Attachments

• Brewfather_WinterWassail2021_20221015.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Brewfather_WinterWassail_20221015.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
I believe that 'winter warmer' was a term for the old Burton Ale, introduced to remove confusion with Burton Bitter, at Youngs at least.

To be more precise, Young's Winter Warmer is the new name for what used to be called Young's Burton, which was in the spirit at least of Burton ales. But these days "winter warmer" gets used to cover all sorts of things, including some spiced Christmasy beers. I'm not sure if "Young's" are still doing it, but Sainsburys do an own-label one that's brewed by the Eagle brewery so at least has some of the heritage to it.

Burton ales were 18th and early 19th century beers that have nothing to do with the IPAs that Burton later became famous for - they were darker, maltier, but still quite bitter. You see the distinction made in old advertising - mirrors etc, most people probably don't realise that they're advertising two different styles of beer :
1665876495435.png

The Wikipedia entry is not too bad :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_ale
and it recently got an official BJCP description :
https://www.bjcp.org/beer-styles/17a-british-strong-ale-burton-ale/Popular in Burton before IPAs were invented, widely exported to the Baltic countries. After 1822, reformulated to be less sweet and strong. Most popular in the Victorian Era, with several different strengths available in the family. The strongest versions evolved into English Barleywines. Became less popular after WWII, eventually dying out around 1970. Some versions exist as Winter Warmers, Barleywines, or Old Ales, but the name has lost favor in the market.

Characteristic Ingredients​

Bready and biscuity English base malts. Substantial portion of ‘high kilned’ malt. Historical versions often used brewing sugars and corn. More modern versions can use crystal malts for flavor and chocolate malt for color. English ale yeast. Traditional English hops, often dry hopped.

Style Comparison​

Has some similarity in malt flavor to Wee Heavy, but with substantially more bitterness. Less strong than an English Barleywine.

Vital Statistics​

IBU​

40 – 50

SRM​

14 – 22

OG​

1.055 – 1.075

FG​

1.018 – 1.024

ABV​

5.0% – 7.5%

About 40+ Years ago, Whitbread/Wethered produced a beer at the appropriate time of year, which was called “Winter Warmer”. They did it for a few years and then it ceased. I know nothing about it other than that it was really lovely. Ring any bells anywhere?

I would call a winter warmer a old English style ale myself. I have just done a Maris Otter with Munich and a touch of Special X with Honey malt as my winter style ale which is fermenting with Flushing Nun yeast.
Hops are Admiral all the way through for a slightly different take instead of the usual Fuggles, EKG just for a change

Latest posts

Back