Chip pan.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Young members won't know most houses had one of these back in the days before oven chips and air fryers, we used lard or beef dripping in a pan on the stove to cook our chips it probably looks disgusting to some now but i can tell you home cooked chips have never been the same.

1713118486208.png

Young members won't know most houses had one of these back in the days before oven chips and air fryers, we used lard or beef dripping in a pan on the stove to cook our chips it probably looks disgusting to some now but i can tell you home cooked chips have never been the same.

View attachment 98198
Was always out on the.hob growing up. My parents only got rid of it a couple of years back after it caught fire, taking the kitchen with it.

Was always out on the.hob growing up. My parents only got rid of it a couple of years back after it caught fire, taking the kitchen with it.
Eeeek!

I must admit after one our friends had a tumble drier catch fire last year, causing extensive damage, I bought dry powder extinguishers and fitted them near the exit routes.

Is that as the chip pan got used all the little black burnt bits were left behind and eventually new fat put in?
No Mucky Fat is Beef Dripping, the stuff taken from the beef joint and cooled down until it sets.
Once set the lard is on top and the beef juices or brown bit is underneath when you mix them up it becomes mucky fat as the brown is mixed with the white lard and spread on bread, Yum!!!

No Mucky Fat is Beef Dripping, the stuff taken from the beef joint and cooled down until it sets.
Once set the lard is on top and the beef juices or brown bit is underneath when you mix them up it becomes mucky fat as the brown is mixed with the white lard and spread on bread, Yum!!!
And I cook my eggs in it every morning. I am with Clint!

You have not had roasted potatoes unless you have tasted them parboiled then roasted in lard. Fried eggs cooked in beef dripping. Matzo balls with shmaltz (chicken fat). And my favorite breakfast as a child, dripping on toast.
And, yes, few were obese in the 1950s.

Absolutely agree.. egg👍🏻roasties 👍🏻

Chicken fat doesn't do it for me and its the only one that goes to feed.

But its a myth that fat makes body fat, and I think I read somewhere recently that the World health organisation (maybe) has suggested perhaps we don't eat enough.

Back in the 50's they were "big bones" 😁😁

Typo: logic error

Last edited:
50's&60's
Less processed food it was made from scratch with raw ingredients'
Kids played sport outside instead of sat in front of a screen and ran off any bad fats in their diet
Kids respected their elders and always called their parents friends Mr or Mrs.
Social skills were good as kids played together.
Policemen arrested bad people unlike today when they are too busy to uphold the law.
And yes every body had a Chip Pan full of lard and not veg oil athumb.. :laugh8:

And, yes, few were obese in the 1950s
A days work for most back then was hard work machines do most of our graft now I belive no one carries a hod up ladders on building sites these days.
Too many takeaways, beers, fast food and less effort at work was always going to end badly for our waistlines.

Last edited:
50's&60's
Less processed food it was made from scratch with raw ingredients'
Kids played sport outside instead of sat in front of a screen and ran off any bad fats in their diet
Kids respected their elders and always called their parents friends Mr or Mrs.
Social skills were good as kids played together.
Policemen arrested bad people unlike today when they are too busy to uphold the law.
And yes every body had a Chip Pan full of lard and not veg oil athumb.. :laugh8:
There was only one fat kid per class and one kid with big shoes.

Back