British Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to do my next few brews making use of British hops. This weekend will be a golden ale for (hopefully!) some warmer weather round the corner.
I've got 70g each of Harlequin, Jester and Olicana, which I think should work nicely together.

Anyone any experience with these three? Current plan is to use them pretty equally in a late addition, hop stand and dry hop. Eg.. 20g each late boil, 30g each hop stand and 20g each (ish) dry hop...
Any of the three more suited to be used earlier or later?

Cheers..

Thanks for the referral @Caramel Ox

My “Pirate Pale” uses Olicana, Jester, and Ernest and is liked pretty universally by everyone that tries it so the recipe might be a good starting point for you? It’s also Gold award winning in last years Anglian Homebrew Competition and you’ll see I drink it most days in the “What are you drinking” thread.

This link will take you to the recipe if you’re interested…

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/media/pirate-pale.972/

I haven’t made it yet but it’s on the list and I bought a lot of Jester and Olicana cheaply from cml. I haven’t found a huge number of recipes for the new British hops but the Charles Faram hop brochure is quite a handy reference.

This link will take you to the recipe if you’re interested…

Cheers @Hazelwood Brewery

Just had a look, seems I’m on a similar sort of track.
Mine is Golden Promise + Wheat Malt and Carapils.
Swap Ernest for harlequin and I’ve also got some harlequin in the late boil addition.

I’ll also use CML FIVE as it’ll be a little happier at my cupboard temp.

Notice you use some ascorbic in the keg. I bought some a while back but haven’t used yet… do you think it has much of an impact?

I use Ascorbic acid in the keg and unless you get off beer it is hard to quantify if it works but what I can say is I have some very hoppy beers and have never had a bad keg.

I did a pretty good batch with Harlequin. Based it on a more traditional British IPA recipe (think it was a Timothy Taylor clone recipe) but switched out the hops with Harlequin.

I can only get 6 English hops here in France EKG, Brewers gold, Fuggles, Challanger, Target and First gold so I am limited but I tend to make only British style beer so I do add some aliens, as I suspect British brewers do as well.

I use Ascorbic acid in the keg and unless you get off beer it is hard to quantify if it works but what I can say is I have some very hoppy beers and have never had a bad keg.

Sounds good enough to me.
I'll stick some in with this batch. Between the hopstand and dry hop it's had a fair whack of late addition hops, so any preventative measure can be no bad things...

Latest posts

Back