Young's Co2 Injector+cap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianmole72

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,
Just got one of these in a starter kit, and just wondered, how much do you actually put in when the beer is done ? I have read about cracking the lid, and I know it produces Co2 naturally.

I'm getting a bit confused already, and I'm only on kits !

Lord help me when I go AG next year !! :cry:

Assuming you're talking some sort of barrel for your finished product here, it's a good idea to prime with a small amount of sugar (or malt extract if you're a purist) when you transfer from your fermenter. This will feed the yeast which will eat-up any oxygen that gets dissolved in the beer when you transferred. This in itself will create some C02 pressure which will get you started. There's no-need to crack off the lid unless you really over-do the sugar, 4 or 5 heaped teaspoons should be fine if fermention is at an end and the beer is largely clear (certainly over a week of fermentation, possibly two).

However, once you start to draw the beer, you'll very quickly get into negative pressure if you're not careful, because of the small gas space at the top of the barrel, and air will be drawn in through the tap (glugging), eventually causing your beer to spoil.

The nack is keeping your barrel under positive CO2 pressure, without it being so high that it damages your kit or makes the beer so fizzy it's impossible to pour.

Let us know how you get on. Thoroughly recommend AG, but you do right to learn the basics on kits.

I've just got 1 of these also and was unsure how to use it lol

it's to get my cider to fizz (only this wrong batch)

from the advice above I still don't understand how to use it :(

yeh I wanted it for my cider lol I think I just bought the wrong thing :) glad its worked for you though :) yay :cheers:

adrianmole72 said:
Personally, I'm not arsed if it isn't frothy, but my mass-produced-lager/john smiths-drinking buddies won't touch it if it isn't creamy....
Tell em to buy their own then :roll:

so is it just used for beer brewers then with beer barrels?

I bought I thinking I could fizz my Cider :D oooppppsssieeee

Cheers guys :)

Latest posts

Back