Youngs cider kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richiejh

Reaction score
I've recently brewed a 40 pint cider kit, it was a youngs kit which i got for christmas.
I have followed the instructions as best as i could. I started fermenting the kit at the beginning of june and left it fermenting for 10 days whilst i was on holiday. It started to ferment before i left and was still going just when i got back. It stayed in the barrel for another week before i bottled it.
I have tried a bottle already even though its not matured yet and found it had an unusual fermenting taste/smell which detracts from the drink. I have spoken to a friend who said his youngs kit had similar smell/taste despite being matured for many months.
Have i done something wrong? Is there anything i can do to improve it?

Thanks.

Well cider is cheap enough to buy my father tried one taste not good he added lemonade to make it more palletable
Stick to beer kits muntons stout good

Did you use regular shop bought sugar? This could perhaps be giving you that taste.

I myself have never used proper brewing sugar (yet!) but will be shortly. And I think I can appreciate the taste you're descriBing.

Some of the more experienced guys here may have some better info for you

Apparantly, using normal white sugar can give a slight fruity taste. However, I've made a On The Rocks cider kit and I really don't like it. A friends boyfriend made it as well as his one went down the drain.

But then I've used white sugar when I make flavoured ciders with apple juice and they have turned out amazingly well! I've also got a batch of apple cider from The Range on the go, and used white sugar in that. I plan on bottling it in the next few days so I'll have a taste of that and let you know how I've found it.

Back