Yeast Nutrients, Opinions and Advice Please...........

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teabicky

Reaction score
Hi,

I was intending to add some extra yeast to my brew to give at kick-start but have accidentally bought some yeast nutrients instead. Firstly, could somebody explain what it is and when it should be used..... could it help to kick-start my slow brew? Secondly, what are peoples general opinions/ experience when using it.

Thanks in advance.

To my way of thinking, yeast nutrient is used when there is not enought for the yeast to feed on; as in "country wines" etc.
Beer and wine made from grapes have all that yeast requires, so nutrient is not needed.

I agree with Jim, I use yeast nutrients in all winemaking to give the yeasties a headstart, although it probably isn't always necessary, but have never used it in brewing.

teabicky said:
Hi,

I was intending to add some extra yeast to my brew to give at kick-start but have accidentally bought some yeast nutrients instead. Firstly, could somebody explain what it is and when it should be used..... could it help to kick-start my slow brew? Secondly, what are peoples general opinions/ experience when using it.

Thanks in advance.

I guess it depends what you're doing but as stated above you shouldn't need it in a beer kit, probably won't do any actual harm but personally i don't like to put stuff in unless i need to. Let things happen by themselves, only look for a kickstart if you need to.

Thanks for all the replies. I will leave well alone. I think that it is still fermenting, just slowly... I am just being impatient, its my first brew.

If in doubt check the gravity with your hydrometer - you'll soon know if it stays the same for 2-3 days that you need to take action (or in fact fermentation is just complete!)

Latest posts

Back