WOW clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamespatel

Reaction score
can anyone help please.
have brewed 2 gallons of WOW - first ever home winemaking effort
have finished the initial ferment in just over two weeks and racked it into a second demijohn - not to badly for a first attempt - very little sediment.
it now looks like weak orange squash with a haze. the top 2 inches seem to be clear.
can i just leave it to clear naturally - if so how long will it take and will i get as good a result than if i use finings (which i currently don't have)

p.s it tastes like a really raw chenin blanc - quite acidic and pretty strong alcohol wise - but i am pleased with it and my wife is impressed thus far

many thanks

hi m8 ,
i didnt use finings on mine ,they took about 2 weeks to clear and taste nice already,
im no expert though ,
i think time is the key :cheers:

I used finings and they are still only half clear (as it in cleared a bit but is still hazy)- this clearing thing seems to be the most difficult bit apart from not drinking it :drunk:
Would racking it again help? Perhaps I should add more finings? I have been having trouble keeping it cool it is in a water bath in the garage.

Regarding taste, the first wow I did, I was quite disappointed at bottling stage, thought it a bit harsh or rough but give it a month and it totally transforms, then you realise the genius of wow.

seems to be clearing on it's own but it does have a little haze
will rack it again and leave it for another week

Did you degas it? Seems to clear a bit slower if you don't. Usually a week with 72 hour finings or a month or 5 weeks without. If you don't degas it, it seems to take a fiar nit longer

p.s. - This is only my observation of my brews. Could be a complete fluke.

Latest posts

Back