Wort recirculation for mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picclock

Reaction score
I seem to have problems with maintaining an even temperature throughout the mash process. My current system is dump in the grains then stir well to incorporate. Once this is done, I check the temperature and this is where it all gets highly variable. Some readings , normally down the bottom of the mash are quite high 70 ish, whereas readings at the top edge tend to be cooler 65 or sometimes less. So I stir it well with the horrible plastic mash paddle, or my long spoon. One would think this should even out the temperature and yet within a few minutes its all over the place again.

My setup is a 33L boiler (old tea urn) with a removable strainer at the bottom. The drain tap is below the strainer to filter the grains/hops.
It occurred to me that I could use a pump to take the liquid from the tap and pump it with some force to the top and, using a tangential nozzle to stir and rotate the mash. I could also measure the recirculated wort temperature to control a low power heater in the base.

I think it would make a very poor mans version of a grainfather/ brewzilla etc.
Outlay cost is a pump , some pipe and a temp controller ~£25, and affordable.

Any thoughts or advice most welcome.

picclock

I seem to have problems with maintaining an even temperature throughout the mash process. My current system is dump in the grains then stir well to incorporate. Once this is done, I check the temperature and this is where it all gets highly variable. Some readings , normally down the bottom of the mash are quite high 70 ish, whereas readings at the top edge tend to be cooler 65 or sometimes less. So I stir it well with the horrible plastic mash paddle, or my long spoon. One would think this should even out the temperature and yet within a few minutes its all over the place again.
When you stir it, it will mix stuff at the bottom together, stuff in the middle together, and it will mix stuff at the top together. But it won't mix stuff at the bottom with stuff in the middle/top etc.

When you're stirring, try to 'scoop' it (it helps if you have a spoon rather than a paddle, but you can still achieve it with a paddle) and draw up stuff from the bottom up to mix with stuff in the middle/top. It can take a few minutes, but you should find this helps your temperatures become more homogenous throughout your mashtun.

It occurred to me that I could use a pump to take the liquid from the tap and pump it with some force to the top and, using a tangential nozzle to stir and rotate the mash. I could also measure the recirculated wort temperature to control a low power heater in the base.
Yes, you can do this. As you say, it'll turn it into something like the AIOs. As the wort from the bottom goes up to the top, then filters down throughout the grain bed, it'll help equalise the temperatures throughout the mash (it's kind of like constant low-level stirring). It'll take more than just a few minutes so a combination of stirring (and 'scooping') followed by recirculation will get you a pretty even and stable mash temperature

@ Mashbag
That makes me think I am on the right path. I ordered 2off 12V food safe 100C pumps and a temp controller. The pumps were £11-91 and £16.76. The controller (XK-W2001 aliexpress) was £4.68. I already have one of these and they seem to work well. Prices are delivered inc UK tax carriage etc. I bought the extra pump cos I'm not keen on lifting heavy stuff.

I thought to make a recess into a copper fitting to insert the temperature sensor. A 15mm Tee with a short piece of pipe in the centre and a stop end into which I would drill a hole and solder a small diameter copper tube (6.25mm outer dia). The sensors on these controller types are all the ntc type, 10K or 100k. Size approx 21x4mm in size, and give very accurate results. The controller has a calibration input where you can correct the temperature display if its different from your standard. I think they are more accurate than thermocouple devices in the brewing temperature range.

I've yet to see an all in one brewing device, just not many brewing shops round here.

Best Regards

picclock

Attachments

• controller.jpg
    controller.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
Humm ... 🧐 ... I get the impression someone is mucking about with your mash? Keeps opening the lid, even moving your temperature probe about? Find out who it is and tell them to stop it.

A recirculating arrangement might help somewhat. Don't set yourself too high expectations. Most importantly, are you already producing drinkable beer you're happy with? Insulation will help a lot. The best insulation is what will stay in place for the duration. Don't listen to folk telling you they hold their mash at 64.3°C for 25 minutes, then step up to 67.8°C for 10 ... they are talking out their ar...

Latest posts

Back