Wort Chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're just the coils from flash chillers. Quite useful as fermentation chillers when coupled with a python and a TC-10 or other temperature control but as a wort chiller no, the old copper coiled IC will be miles better.

They work fine as a wort chiller . . . In fact I think Norm has a 'triple' available. . .Of course being stainless they will not be as efficient as copper (copper conducts better than Stainless) but if you must have a stainless coil they are a cost effective option. . . Of course Hamstead Homebrew have this rather nice stainless coil which is custom designed for the job . . . and I'm considering getting one as a bit of Bling to keep Connor cool

ConicalAndStand01.jpg

I do use those product coils for cooling my fermenters (connected to a product chiller python) and they are great.

Connor has not been on the beer yet, There are a few things that need sorting before he can. Like
a new lid (I want a transparent Acrylic one to do Yeast head webcam stuff through :lol:),
and a cooling coil
and some sort of heating
And a rotating Racking Arm
Plus some hosetails etc

And all that is going to wait until I get back from Holiday in a few weeks time

And I may even get the new boiler commissioned as well . . .but probably not

Aleman said:
They work fine as a wort chiller . . .if you must have a stainless coil they are a cost effective option

Its not a case of having to have a stainless chiller its more to do with keeping the cost down. I just wondered if these would do the job as it appeares to be cheaper option :D

Considering the cost of a copper coil then they are pretty cost effective . . .only issue with a single 4M is that the amount of coil in contact with the wort is quite small and therefore cooling will be limited as the temperature approaches pitching temp. . . . Which is where Norms triple is better . . . (And while I buy stuff from Geoff DTS his postage is OTT for stuff like that) Norms Triple 35 quid + Delivery Geoffs Single 14.50 Plus 10 quid delivery :hmm: :hmm:

I forgot i have an ftp app on my phone.

coil1.jpg

coil2.jpg

I also have one identical to the one on ebay but i'm not sure of postage costs for that one.

snail, what size brews are you doing? I use a double product coil for 60ltr brews and they are very efficient, if your doing 5 gallon they'd be overkill, as would a tripple. Mine
CIMG1827225x300.jpg

Vossy, we are talking about using them as a wort chiller not for FV Chilling. . .. and I think that like a copper coil IC the more the merrier really . . . these would be better as you could feed each coil with coolant in parallel . . .in effect a triple IC

I agree with you though a single is far too efficient as a 20L FV Chiller . . .I'm actually looking at having to have a 12C reservoir controlled by the python and pump water from that round the FV coil

Latest posts

Back