Woodfords Wherry with honey & ginger ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robd

Reaction score
I only do kit brews atm and wondered if i tweaked my favourite "Woodfords Wherry" with honey and ginger is there any reason why it wouldnt work? A previous suggestion for the ginger was to blitz it in the food processor and add after a few days of initial fermenting but when would be best to add the honey? Im thinking right at the start in the first mix? Not really understanding how the process works im not sure if the sweetnees of the honey would be overkill or even ruin the wart?

I know that tweaking is trial and error but any suggestions to guide me would be very much appreciated. So what are your thoughts on when & how to add the honey & ginger and what quantities would you start off with?

Thanks in advance :-)

nope, sounds good. I wouldn't want 40 pints of ginger beer personally, but that's up to you!

I find about 500g honey is about right in most normal beers - the better quality the better, don't use value it sucks. Honey isn't sweet once it's fermented, and you need about 1.25x the amount of honey to sugar weight for weight - so if you use 1kg sugar, you need about 1.25kg honey for the same amount of fermentables.

RobWalker said:
I find about 500g honey is about right in most normal beers - the better quality the better, don't use value it sucks. Honey isn't sweet once it's fermented, and you need about 1.25x the amount of honey to sugar weight for weight - so if you use 1kg sugar, you need about 1.25kg honey for the same amount of fermentables.

Rob, thanks for the reply. The wherry kit doesnt require any added sugar so i would just be adding the honey. I assume it would still work!

It's not a honey bomb at 500g, Lee - but largely it depends on a number of things, mostly the beer you are starting with (you won't taste it in an imperial stout much for example) and your palette. I find it adds a moreish aftertaste and not a lot more - but there will be more flavour than say, Maple Moon (maple syrup beer) at the supermarket.

Either way it's not overbearing and rather delicious.

Latest posts

Back