Woodforde's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtfreight

Reaction score
I have followed the instructions to the letter and well over a week ago I put the beer in a keg with a top tap for 3 days in a warm room (25degrees). Last night I decided to see how it was getting on as it has been cooling in the shed for 7 days. Bearing in mind that its drawn from the top of the keg I would have thought that it would be starting to clear by now but it hasn't. The beer tastes great and has a good head which it holds but It's still cloudy.
Is this normal and am I expecting it to start clearing too soon? According to the instructions it should be ready to drink in another 7 days.

gtfreight said:
I have followed the instructions to the letter and well over a week ago I put the beer in a keg with a top tap for 3 days in a warm room (25degrees). Last night I decided to see how it was getting on as it has been cooling in the shed for 7 days. Bearing in mind that its drawn from the top of the keg I would have thought that it would be starting to clear by now but it hasn't. The beer tastes great and has a good head which it holds but It's still cloudy.
Is this normal and am I expecting it to start clearing too soon? According to the instructions it should be ready to drink in another 7 days.
The Wherrys that I have brewed weren't totally clear until they'd been in the keg for four weeks - and mine were also in the FV for two weeks before I racked them.

I think Woodforde's assertion that the beer will be ready in two or three weeks is, frankly, ********. It's really not ready that soon - but when it is it's not bad at all.

I have a Woodforde's Nog that has been in the keg for four weeks now and it's still as murky as hell. At this rate it's going to be a Christmas beer :D

Thanks for your help. As this is my first attempt I thought I had done something wrong.
It looks like I need to be patient and wait for a while longer.

I kegged my Woodforde's Wherry last Monday, and I included some Ritchie's Quick Clear finings before sealing the keg. I'd read a few comments about Woodforde's being a bit slow to clear so I thought I'd give the brew a helping hand.

On Friday night I pulled a little bit out the keg, just to see how it was getting on, and i was amazed. Clear already, and tasting pretty darned good.

I did the Wherry as my first brew, but it stalled so I had it in the FV for 4 weeks followed by another 4 weeks in the barrel and it still didn't clear properly. I think the times given in the instructions are more of a guide as to when you can start drinking it. Mine never cleared properly but tasted fine. It definitely didn't put me off Woodforde's though, currently got the Nog in the FV.

Thanks, I'm going to my hbs on Monday to buy an s30 canister and while I'm there I will ask for some finings. Will it be ok to open the keg to add finings and if so do I need to add some co2 or will it regain its own pressure?

Another week has past and I decided not to put any finings in and it is now clear at the top. I have just tasted a glass and to be honest I think it tasted better when it was cloudy, it had a very similar taste to Golden Pippin which is a "blonde ale" made by Copper Dragon Breweries if anyone is familier with them. It has lost its light refreshing taste and is more heavy now. Is this brew going to keep on progressing with the taste as it is or will it come back to how it was last week?
Perhaps my pallet prefers a young immature beer and if so, when I put my next batch in the keg, if I add finings will I be ok drinking it when it's conditioned for just a week?

Back